ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty 970 Performance/3.1 + Samsung SM951

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite_Marines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty 970 Performance/3.1 + Samsung SM951
    Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 8:03pm
I bought a Fatal1ty Performance/3.1 motherboard because it has support for M.2 with using PCIe x4. I bought the samsung SM951 to use as the boot drive and I have been unsuccessful getting windows to install on it.

The windows installer recognizes the hard drive with 238gb of free space, but it refuses to install onto it. Is this a known compatibility issue? I know this is a relatively new motherboard and the bios is only on its first revision so maybe support hasn't been added.

Has anybody tried a samsung M.2 hard drive as a boot drive yet?
Elite_Marines View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite_Marines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 9:07pm
I figured out why I was unable to install windows. The usb I was using wasn't successfully booting in UEFI mode and it would default to regular boot. It wasn't an obvious thing to realize because my boot priority was set to boot first from UEFI. The way I realized it wasn't uefi compatible is by going to the EFI folder on the usb and I noticed it was empty.

So I have successfully installed and booted windows 8.1 on my Samsung SM951 256gb M.2 ssd by doing the following:

I downloaded an ISO of windows 8.1 using

Then I used -

To create a bootable USB drive that supports UEFI.

I Went to the bios -> CSM and changed Legacy Rom to UEFI on the storage setting.

Hopefully this helps someone who might be having the same issue, or help someone make a decision on buying the motherboard because although it doesn't say that it supports the SM951, it works just fine.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 11:26pm
Thanks for updating with your solution Wink
aberdeen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aberdeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 1:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic