ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intel's Atom C2000 chips are bricking products

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asriznet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 7:06am
Any updates on the replaced board?
wantastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 6:25am
Hi @asriznet, mine's still working, however I've had to power it off for the last month due to me working on the house and having to constantly turn power off for sockets.

In my previous experience, my boards have lasted 1-2 years before showing signs of problems, so I suspect, and this is only assuming if there's still a fault in the current batch of boards being sent out, that it won't be until 2019 until I see any more issues.

One interesting piece of info I have found, which I'm not sure if I need to worry about or not though, is that the CPU itself still seems to report a B0 stepping.  I run Linux on my system, and running "cpuid | head -n15" outputs info from the CPU itself.  On my system is reports an Avoton B0 stepping, whereas the errata that Intel released was addressed in the C0 stepping.

According to the motherboard box though, it does say it's C0 stepping, so I'm not sure if it's a reporting fault in cpuid, or if it is indeed something sinister.  Sadly, the only way for me to tell for certain is to pry the heatsink off the chip on the motherboard and check that's actually written on the chip itself, which with the house work I've been doing lately, hasn't lent me the time to do!

I'm not sure how many people still track this thread, but if anyone else who's had replacement boards is able to confirm if their system reports a B0 or C0 stepping, that would be helpful - if some C0's are being reported, that would help suggest that fixed CPUs are indeed in the wild, and it might just be my tool, being a tool.
asriznet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asriznet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 6:56am
Just curious does the failed board show any anomalies in CPU temp?

my sensor readings are showing excellent readings, it's even not hot enough that I can touch the heatsink with my bare hands.

my issue is intermittent but more frequent these days that the board will auto shuts off and when it attempts to boot again will not POST.

when it's encountering the no POST issue, IPMI sensor readings are not showing much of the data, only CMOS battery and 5V,3V standby readings are populated.

The others shows as Not Available.
wantastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 7:21am
I can't say I spotted any temp anomalies, although I have heard of others having that issue.  Normally, I run mine in an open case with a fan nearby circulating some air, but not directly onto the heatsink, and it's never felt or appeared to get too warm to the touch.

When my board did fail, ASRock did ask about my power sensor readings though, and on both occasions I had the same issue with ATX+5VSB, +3VSB, and BAT showing a reading -  everything else was Not Available as you say.  Also, if you check carefully, you might spot that some of the values never change, which I consider to be quite unusual.

Just to help clarify my events if they relate to yours as well, I'd find my system would crash and not POST.  If I removed all power from the system by turning off the PSU, left it for a while, and turn back on, the board would power up and fans etc.. would spin, but would never POST.  I could leave it like that for 24 hours, with no change, but it'd still be powered up.  I'd see more sensor readings at this stage:

* ATX+5VSB
  * +3VSB
  * Vcore
  * VCCM
  * +1.1
  * +1.0
  * BAT
  * ...and my fan RPMs.

At this point, if I powered the system off from the power button on the front of the system, and power it back on at any point after this, the system would begin to start up again, fans spinning etc.. for about 2 seconds before it auto shut off.  At that point, my sensors just read:

* ATX+5VSB
  * 3VSB
  * BAT

Note as well, that *all* of my voltages always reported a value that never changed apart from ATX+5VSB which did fluctate slightly, which I'd expect.  But my +3VSB for example, always read 3.48 volts, even after swapping PSUs, and the BAT signal always reported 3.159 volts even with the battery removed!

The point at which ASRock decided to issue me an RMA was when they noticed that the +3V, +5V, and +12V signals were always showing Not Available, which apparently did "not look good".

Hope that helps somewhat..!
AlexKey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexKey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 8:00am
Very disappointed, after 6 month of support mails regarding my dead C2750D4I unit I got response that motherboard are now out of warranty, asking 50 usd for diagnostics and dead silence afterwards.

Anyone can please make detailed photo of restored from avr bug motherboard or tell what was made to make it working? If Cisco and synology can be fixed by simple resistor, may be this one can too. I found nothing on ix's forums, main source of bricked asrock rack boards.

I want try to restore it before throwing out and never buy anything from asrock afterwards.

MsNIKITA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsNIKITA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2023 at 11:39am
Originally posted by wantastic wantastic wrote:

I can't say I?spotted any temp anomalies, although I have heard of others having that issue.? Normally, I run mine in an open case with a fan nearby circulating some air, but not directly onto the heatsink, and it's never felt or appeared to get too warm to the touch.

When my board did fail, ASRock did ask about my power sensor readings though, and on both occasions I had the same issue with ATX+5VSB, +3VSB, and BAT showing a reading -? everything else was Not Available as you say.? Also, if you check carefully, you might spot that some of the values never change, which I consider to be quite unusual.

Just to help clarify my events if they relate to yours as well, I'd find my system would crash and not POST.? If I removed all power from the system by turning off the PSU, left it for a while, and turn back on, the board would power up and fans etc.. would spin, but would never POST.? I could leave it like that for 24 hours, with no change, but it'd still be powered up.? I'd see more sensor readings at this stage:

? * ATX+5VSB
? * +3VSB
? * Vcore
? * VCCM
? * +1.1
? * +1.0
? * BAT
? * ...and my fan RPMs.

At this point, if I powered the system off from the power button on the front of the system, and power it back on at any point after this, the system would begin to start up again, fans spinning etc.. for about 2 seconds before it auto shut off.? At that point, my sensors just read:

? * ATX+5VSB
? * 3VSB
? * BAT

Note as well, that *all* of my voltages always reported a value that never changed apart from ATX+5VSB which did fluctate slightly, which I'd expect.? But my +3VSB for example, always read 3.48 volts, even after swapping PSUs, and the BAT signal always reported 3.159 volts even with the battery removed!

The point at which ASRock decided to issue me an RMA was when they noticed that the +3V, +5V, and +12V signals were always showing Not Available, which apparently did "not look good".

Hope that helps somewhat..!

I know this is really late, I doubt any of yous still have your board knocking around but I had issues with one of my c2750d4i and I came across this thread purely by accident.. I tried it and it's magically revived my board for the time being.

How to fix Asrock c2750d4i with C2000 bug

Good Luck
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic