ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gaming Zone > Gaming PC Build Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme 4 not supported - Help needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gearoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 4:57pm
So should I see my hard drive in BIOS, on option list for Boot order? If so why is it missing? how can I check or test to see if har drive is dead or not, its brand new by the way!
Gearoid
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 5:07pm
Please post your full system specs. Without knowing what drive/s and what drive types you are using it is very difficult to offer advice or give answers. 
Gearoid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gearoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 11:09pm
In BIOS I am not offered a Hard Drive as a  Boot option. Is this correct, Is my hard drive in trouble, how can I check. Its only a month old
Gearoid
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Gearoid Gearoid wrote:

So should I see my hard drive in BIOS, on option list for Boot order? If so why is it missing? how can I check or test to see if har drive is dead or not, its brand new by the way!

Check for you hard drive in the BIOS here:

Advanced screen > Storage Configuration screen.

Another option would be in the Tools screen, in the System Browser feature. You would click on the SATA ports on the picture of the board, and move the mouse pointer over each SATA port to see if anything is detected/connected to that SATA port. But the Storage Configuration screen would be the first place to check.

Any HDD would also appear in the boot order, but if you do not find it in the Storage Configuration screen, then something is wrong. You should also find the optical drive in the Storage Configuration screen.

It's possible your HDD is dead, but we don't know that yet. Checking the connections of the SATA data and power cables would be the first thing to do. If you have another SATA data cable, replace the one currently in use. Normally you can hear an HDD spinning up, any sign of activity like that? The only way to test it is to try to get it working by changing the cables, and try to listen to it spin up, and check for it in the BIOS as described above.

A new HDD does not mean it will be immune from failure. Actually, a new HDD may fail after being used for a short time, less than perfect quality control does not catch a bad drive, and it will fail.

About Windows 10, yes Windows 10 will not have the problem with the missing driver that Windows 7 does. Intel's new 100 (and 200) series chipsets (like your Z170) will ONLY use a USB 3.0 driver for ALL the USB ports. It's that way with any and all manufactures mother boards.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 3:44am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

A new HDD does not mean it will be immune from failure.

<cough> neweggs method of shipping bare drives <cough>
Gearoid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gearoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 5:20am
OK fellows you've cracked it, totally unrelated to windows 7 upgrade, it was a hard drive issue as I was beginning to suspect as it was nowhere to be seen in the BIOS. So going through it I discovered the power to the hard drive had become disconnected in the tower right about the same time as w7 upgrade so we put 2 and 2 together and got 5. Anyway the teenager is back online, house is calm again. Many thanks to all you good souls cheers from Ireland 
Gearoid
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Gearoid Gearoid wrote:

OK fellows you've cracked it, totally unrelated to windows 7 upgrade, it was a hard drive issue as I was beginning to suspect as it was nowhere to be seen in the BIOS. So going through it I discovered the power to the hard drive had become disconnected in the tower right about the same time as w7 upgrade so we put 2 and 2 together and got 5. Anyway the teenager is back online, house is calm again. Many thanks to all you good souls cheers from Ireland 

Thumbs Up

Great. Thanks for coming back and letting us knows.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 1:50pm
Awesome, glad to hear you are up and running Thumbs Up
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 2:04am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

A new HDD does not mean it will be immune from failure.

<cough> neweggs method of shipping bare drives <cough>

As in, throwing it in a box with some packing material on top of the drive, with nothing on the bottom? I've seen that more times than I care to remember. Pinch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic