ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

KB3064209 breaks the G3258

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mediocaballero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 5:57am
no news here? still no bios for win 10 with overclock enabled?
ankkax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankkax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 12:14am
Hello have this problem been fixed? can i OC g3258 windows 10 now or should i return my asrock MoBo and g3258 processor?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 12:53am
I am sorry to have to say this but there will not be a BIOS update to allow for OCing on non-Z platforms under windows 10. This restriction comes down from intel and is not the fault of ASRock or any other manufacturer. Intel is within its rights to set parameters for how it's products are implemented. 
ankkax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankkax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 1:09am
K thanks for answering, i guess i'll just have to try out this setup and then decide if i should go with amd build :)
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 3:10am
The G3258 is a great little CPU, I am using one as I type this overclocked to 4.6ghz on my ASRock Z97 Extreme 3. The problem is that despite its phenomenal overclocking and single core performance, often matching or bettering an i7 4790k in this regard, it still only a dual core CPU with no hyper threading. While this is more than enough for most applications it has become a problem with new AAA titles that require more than 2 threads. An AMD Athlon 860k and a decent FM2+ board will perform better in a gaming scenario when paired with a decent GPU. I would recommend the ASRock Fatal1ty FM2A88X+ Killer or if you are on a tighter budget the ASRock FM2A88X Extreme 4+. Both of these offer great features, superior power design than cheaper options and likely better overclocking capabilities than you would find in the budget segment. I recommend the Athlon over the APUs on the FM2+ platform only because they are cheaper than an A10 XXXX and lack only an iGPU which you will not need with a discrete GPU installed anyway.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 5:48am
Two thumbs up and my vote for the ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+

Other than the sometimes buggy Atheros Killer nic and one more(7vs8) sata ports on the "Killer' board, with the Extreme6+ your getting 8+2 VRM, 2 PCIe 3.0 x16 slots(one @ x16 or two @ x8), and Dual BIOS chips.
Ipsissimus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ipsissimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 9:35pm
If you want to use Windows 10 on a H81 board  ( with overclock on g3258 ) you can do the following.

1. UPGRADE to windows 10 from windows7/windows8. For some reasons, upgrading, even if you check the "keep nothing" option, will not disable to overclock, will not cause black screens or any other errors.

2. Disable the overclock or disable 1 core or both of them. Install Windows 10. Search for "mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll" in system 32 and rename it in "mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll.old". To rename it, you need to change properties, go to security>advanced and there you will need to change the Owner. Click "Change", go to advanced, go to "Find Now" and double click on "Users" from the drop down table ( it should be before the last ). Now go back to Security and in the "Group or user names" tab click "Edit" on any of the listed groups/users. Check "All"  for administrator and users in the new tab that you are prompted. Reboot. Enable both cores and you can overclock now.

Don't use the latest BIOS, because the microcode disables the overclock option in the BIOS.
consolation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote consolation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 9:48pm
Bit of thread necromancy, but for people who might be putting together a real cheap W10 build...

1) Update the board to latest bios & restore default settings.
2) Install windows 10 - let it update.
3) Download BIOS v1.91 Use the instaflash version, and put it on a fat32 usb stick.
4) Boot into uefi and flash v1.91.
5) Reboot and OC away

- note - under Win10 you can only OC via efi, not from within windows. I had to lower the OC by approx. .25 GHz to keep windows 10 happy compared to win 7. But, other than that, all is well...
n1k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n1k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 7:39am
Hello.. Thanks Asrock for all help you give.
can you help me just in more this case, please?
Already have H81-hg4 and g3258.. whit lastest BIOS and Win10 installed.
To enable OC options, i need just flash a previous BIOS?
Just this?
very thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic