ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x99 Extreme4 Raid Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x99 Extreme4 Raid Issues
    Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 2:13am
Hi folks, I need your help on a vexing RAID issue.

First, the machine components:
  Asrock x99 Extreme4 mobo
  Intel i7-5820 cpu
  EGVA GTX970 graphics card
  32 GB J Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2666
  2 x Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD  
  WD Black 3 TB HDD
  EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80Plus Gold

The system was working fine when I experienced a power loss which corrupted the RAID0 array.

The system was not recoverable so I loaded the Windows ISO and drivers to a USB for re-installation.  I deleted the existing RAID0 volume and recreated it using the iRST utility.

Upon booting from the USB drive Windows see's the single RAID drive (composed of the two SSDs).  However, when I attempt to execute the "New" function to create the Windows partition I get a message that Windows cannot install on the RAID0 drive, partition 1.  The details say to make sure the drive is defined to the SATA  controller and compatible with this hardware. 

I also can't get into the RAID Bios at post (cntrl+i).  Is this because of the iRST utility? 

I did notice that the RAID driver in the utility was 13.1.0.2134 while the Asrock downloaded RAID drive is 13.1.0.1058.  The iRST utility does not give me an option to change the RAID driver.  Could this be my problem?   

It  was working... what have I done wrong?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Fountaindale
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 2:24am
Which OS are you using ?

You really should secure erase the SSD's first and then create the array with the option ROM.

Just telling you, Just in case you didn't erase them.

You actually should see unallocated space and not a partition,  when you see unallocated space this is when you see the NEW option to make a partition. 

I think secure erasing the drives will work and then you'll see unallowcated space and then you can hit new to make the partition.

Are you trying to install in MBR or UEFI ? 

I'm not sure what you mean by loading windows  and driver onto USB,  but if you were able to boot from it, it should be ok.  

Better to install windows in UEFI. 

Just some info about your post on the option ROM. 

The option ROM you see is not a driver, that is the version of the Option ROM, 13.1.0.2134 is the version of the ROM. 

The RAID driver is the 13.1.0.1058. 

Edited by odiebugs - 22 Jul 2015 at 3:31am
asrocking
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 3:32am
Can you please re read the post, I added some and noticed you were online, so you might have missed about the unallocated  space.
asrocking
Dale Roberts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 3:36am
I'm using the Windows 8.1 64bit OS and UEFI as the "bios".  

I just wondered about the driver because it specifically said RAID driver at the top of the iRST utility but I will take your more knowledgeable word on it.

I will erase (format?) the SSDs.  I didn't realize I should be seeing unallocated space but it makes sense.

Thanks for the help.
Fountaindale
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 4:02am
Hey Dale: I was referring to the option ROM, when you hit CRTL+ I. 

At the top you should see - Intel Rapid Storage Technology- Option ROM - 13.1.0.2134

Were you talking about when the MOBO boots and you see the RST screen or were you talking about in the BIOS / UEFI .

I think because you didn't secure erase the drives, the partition was left. 

Remember, if you are installing UEFI, you will see unallowcated space and when you hit NEW, you will see 4 partitions, and you will install to primary. 

**** Only secure erase the drives, there's no need to format using windows, no reason to format from NTFS to NTFS.  

Windows will make GPT on the NTFS.

Edited by odiebugs - 22 Jul 2015 at 4:08am
asrocking

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 4:29am
I was just reading about erasing data on an SSD... it ain't your Grandpa's HDD.  

I can't get into the op-ROM.  I've tried every combo of Cntrl-i, m, or g with RAID/AHCI.  I've been creating the array with the Intel RST utility that appears under the Advanced tab in the UEFI after setting the storage mode to RAID.

Fountaindale
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 4:32am
LOL.

Most all SSD MFG's have a tool for secure erasing,  you run it in DOS. You make a bootable DVD or USB flash drive. 

What brand and model is it, let me see what they have if any. 

Clear CMOS for your board and go into BIOS / UEFI, reset storage to RAID, go to BOOT page and make sure ROM is enabled, and any IGPU or GPU settings. 

If you want, go back and try windows install, but this time DELETE the partitions, all of them, then you should see the one unallowcated, hit NEW and try it.

Edited by odiebugs - 22 Jul 2015 at 4:40am
asrocking

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 4:45am
They are Samsung EVO 850s.  The only thing I saw was a utility called Magician that looks to be a tweaker.  Thanks for your extra effort to help.
Fountaindale
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 4:56am
You're welcome.  The samsung magician has a lot of tools and secure erase.  But I don't think they added the 850's to support for secure erase. 

First try installing windows again, with either resetting the BIOS / UEFI or not. 

But this time DELETE the partitions you see.  DON'T use format. 

If this does not work, try going to Samsung and DL the magician and read about running in DOS as a boot. If this won't work with your 850, I'll try to find a generic erase. 

Never use any HDD wipe or zero tool.  

This is from Samsung -  DOS : 
. Use the Windows Magician Tool to create a DOS boot disk (or USB, CD, DVD), and then use the boot disk to run Secure Erase. 
Download Magician at http://www.samsung.com/samsungss

**** newest version should see the 850 and be able to erase it.

Edited by odiebugs - 22 Jul 2015 at 6:31am
asrocking
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic