ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to boot Z97 Extreme6 using XP941 256GB ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sms2015 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to boot Z97 Extreme6 using XP941 256GB ??
    Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 2:59am
Hi,

I have spent quite a while of time and efforts indeed and here is my last resort, do hope to get some help here!!....

All I want is to boot Samsung xp941/256Gb SSD installed in z97 Extreme6 mobo in EFI mode.

BIOS = V2.30 (I have gradually tried all versions from 1.70 to 2.30 with the same results).

With CSM=off, this SSD is simply not available in BIOS at all -
F11 gives NONE drives to boot.

I can add boot entry for xp941 using EFI Shell (CLOVER) but after reboot the drive description of this record changes to as if it would be physically unavailable.

F11 will show one blank record, I assume it is to correspond M.2 drive but clicking on it brings back the boot menu.

I can add boot entry to any other 'regular' SSD and HDD and they show up in boot menu without any issues. Along with M.2 boot record I have say 3 boot records using F11, one of which is blank and does nothing whereas two other are valid boot entries.

If I unplug any of those other drives, the correspondent boot record stays but drive description in it changes the same way it does for the M.2, this is how I realized the motherboard treats xp941 as non-existing during the initial boot. Also the correspondent boot record turns blank in boot menu (F11) but recovers to valid once the drive is plugged back in.

Once I load the OS bootloader (from, say, regular HDD, SSD or USB drive), I can boot whatever OS is installed on any of my connected and properly formatted drives (including xp941 !!).

Please confirm, if this Samsung xp941/266Gb SSD installed in z97 Extreme6 mobo can be set up as bootable in EFI mode??

Cheers,
Serge
balotus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 3:40am
Maybe this work, Take CMS off ( as you have ) and in the sata option choose sata raid. Reboot and see what happens.

Cheers

Kim
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 3:48am
I would say stick to flashing UEFI / BIOS 2.10 , and newer is only if you have a Broadwell CPU. 

Have you loaded a USB flash with windows 8 or 8.1 formatted as FAT32, then booted and hit F11 to bring up boot menu and chosen UEFI ( your flash drive )

Answering this might help one of the mods like Xaltar or Parsec, they have knowledge with M2 booting.

I haven't,  but thought it might help them.

Edited by odiebugs - 22 Jul 2015 at 3:49am
asrocking
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic