ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

DeskMini 110 & Kaby Lake & BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by camster camster wrote:

sorry hard week at work. was wondering before I start if it is easier and better to load windows 7 or 10.
have kaby lake pentium G4560, crucial 8gb ddr4 2133, kingston ssdnow uv400 240gb 2.5 sata3. once i know what to poad it will be better. 

Whether installing Windows 7 or 10 is easier depends upon the installation media you have for Windows (disk, ISO file on a USB flash drive), and the type of mouse and keyboard you will be using.

This is a link to a simple explanation regarding what you will need depending upon the things I listed above if you want to use Windows 7:

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Win7Install/index.html

You would not need to do anything if you were using Windows 10, regardless of the Windows 10 installation media and keyboard and mouse. So Windows 10 could be easier depending upon what you have.

The reason why Windows 7 can be more difficult is all of the Intel 100 and 200 series chipset boards, like your H110 STX board, will only use the USB 3.0 driver for ALL of the USB ports, including of course the USB 2.0 ports. Since Windows 7 does not have a built in USB 3.0 driver, all of the USB ports will not work until you install a USB 3.0 driver after Windows 7 is installed. You can "slipstream" a USB 3.0 driver into a Windows 7 ISO installation on a USB flash drive, but that is not simple.

Since you will be using an external USB DVD drive, using Windows 7 will be the most difficult if you plan on using a Windows 7 disk.

Using Windows 10 from a disk or an ISO file on a USB flash drive will not have any of these issues.

Whether Windows 7 or 10 is better is up to you.

You said earlier that you connected your "... external drive but it won't boot from it". I asked what was on the external drive, but no response from you. Is that your DVD burner, or something else?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 2:12pm
Fair warning, Kaby Lake CPUs are only "officially" supported on windows 10. This is naturally total BS as any OS will work just fine but MS have been sneaky and made it so your system will not receive updates if it detects a Kaby Lake CPU, instead prompting you to upgrade your OS because your CPU isn't supported.

I don't know if this is still happening, MS may have been forced to stop doing this but it is worth noting. I have been on 10 of necessity for a while now and it isn't terrible. If I didn't need to run the occasional game for benchmarking I would switch to linux full time in a heartbeat though Tongue
camster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 4:02pm
Thankyou Xaltar that makes my decision A bit simpler. Grrrrrrr. Windows 7 is so much more of a simpler O.S. to work with.
camster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 4:13pm
Hi Parsec. Yes my external drive is the dvd drive. I thought that would be easier. it may work I just need to buy a windows 10 disk and then give it a go. All my O.S are either 7 or came with the product. Im working a day shift tomorrow so it will have to wait until then if Im not too shattered. I live in New zealand so the time is out of wack. However doing shift work does help. I will keep you all updated if you wish. But thanks all for your help. much appreciated.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 9:22pm
Last year Microsoft let you install Windows 10 with a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 product key. Fresh install too, none of that Win 10 upgrade nonsense. That should be over now I think.

I had a moment of concern about your external USB DVD drive, even with Windows 10. I install Windows 10 only via an ISO file on a USB flash drive, which I did with my DeskMini 110W. That works fine, but something about an external USB DVD drive worries me. But the Windows 10 installer must have a method of getting the USB ports working on the Intel 100 series chipset boards. Or is it Intel... Confused

I forgot about the Kaby Lake and Windows 7 thing, since I only use Windows 10 now.
camster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 3:53pm
I am half way through the install. Went to PB tech and they were able to sell me a win10 usb fully loaded boot disk and not needing any extra work. It was cjeaper than the disk too. plugged it in and loaded up without any issue at all. now my external works and I am loading the drivers on it is a sweet ride. so much easier than if I had to go down the windows 7 route. Windows has updated itself as well. I am so glad I came against this forum as I wouldnt have done it without you guys.  Hope tis helps someone ealse as well. Thanks again.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 8:20pm
The Windows 10 on USB was cheaper than a disk? Nice, they charge more for that in the USA! Angry

Glad this all was helpful for you. My DeskMini 110W has been problem free since the beginning.

If you have any more questions, let us know!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic