ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deskmini 110 external GPU BIOS support

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Febtuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deskmini 110 external GPU BIOS support
    Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 12:16pm
Hello everyone,

I am looking for buying Deskmini 110 and use a nVidia Geforce GTX 1060 (6GB VRAM) graphic card as an external GPU. Yes I am planning to extend the pice 3.0 x4 M.2 slot to a pice x16 one and plug the graphic card (using EXP GDC 9.0b or alternatives).

I've heard the new nVidia graphic driver(372.90 or newer) will detect whether certain pcie channel's hotplug has been logically enabled. That is, the hotplug bit of that pcie channel has been set to 1(gives error 43 if it isn't). And such a setting can only be done by BIOS. So could anybody tell me the hotplug bit's value of the pcie 3.0 x4 M.2 in current BIOS?

Thanks for your help!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Febtuse Febtuse wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am looking for buying Deskmini 110 and use a nVidia Geforce GTX 1060 (6GB VRAM) graphic card as an external GPU. Yes I am planning to extend the pice 3.0 x4 M.2 slot to a pice x16 one and plug the graphic card (using EXP GDC 9.0b or alternatives).

I've heard the new nVidia graphic driver(372.90 or newer) will detect whether certain pcie channel's hotplug has been logically enabled. That is, the hotplug bit of that pcie channel has been set to 1(gives error 43 if it isn't). And such a setting can only be done by BIOS. So could anybody tell me the hotplug bit's value of the pcie 3.0 x4 M.2 in current BIOS?

Thanks for your help!

Personally, I have no idea if that bit is set or not.

There is a chance what you want to do might work, since in contrast to other Intel 100 series chipset boards (H110 in the Deskmini 110), the M.2 slot in the Deskmini 110 is connected to the CPU's PCIe lanes, rather than the chipset.

You should contact ASRock technical support with this question, here:

http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp
Febtuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Febtuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 11:11pm
Thanks for the information, I've contacted them by the link.
Baron_dM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baron_dM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Febtuse Febtuse wrote:

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your help!

Hey everyone!
I'm planning the exact same build as you Febtuse, did you have any luck with tech support, or did you just give it a try? I already have the GDC Beast 9.0b (M.2) but still haven't saved up enough for a good GPU.

I had read on another forum that they had managed to get 30gbps out of the 9.0b, so top tier GPUs should work pretty well if the PCIe lanes are running straight to the CPU...

Let me know how you've been going!

Rergards,
B
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic