ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fan Control on a ASRock Z97 Killer w/o software?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fan Control on a ASRock Z97 Killer w/o software?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matgew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fan Control on a ASRock Z97 Killer w/o software?
    Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 12:25pm
Hi all, first time computer builder here, started a few months ago

I switched out my old motherboard for this one last week. Things have been pretty swell, but I couldn't help but notice how high the RPM of my CPU fan runs without Asrock's F-Stream Tuning app. My old motherboard managed to maintain ideal fan speeds that shifted depending of the needs of the CPU, no app required.
Without FAN-Tastic Tuning enabled via the F-Stream Tuning app, my fans blow at full force regardless of the temperature of the CPU. With Windows 10 around the corner I would imagine the fans doing the same thing during the upgrade process. I wouldn't want my room to sound like a vacuum while upgrading LOL

So that leaves me with the question, is there some option I missed in the BIOS or elsewhere that will let me have better system-wide control over the CPU fan? I don't want my Asrock telling my CPU fan to blow at full force at 30C.

Edited by Matgew - 23 Jul 2015 at 12:29pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 12:32pm
There should be fan profile settings under your HW Monitor section of your BIOS.
Matgew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matgew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 12:43pm
Thanks for the super quick reply, found the CPU fan setting set to Performance and lowered it down to Silent Mode. Cheers!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 12:58pm
Glad to be of service Wink
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 12:58pm
There sure are, as Xaltar said, fan speed control options in the HW Monitor screen in the UEFI/BIOS.

The F-Stream settings you use override the UEFI settings. The fan speed curves you see in F-Stream are those provided by the default UEFI options. The Customize setting provides the most flexibility to match how you would like the fans to operate.

I would also suggest running the Fan Test feature for each fan in FanTastic Tuning. That way you can see the RPM to fan speed percentage displayed after the test is complete, and use the percentages to set the fan speed vs temperature in the Customize setting in the UEFI.

You can also control fan speed by monitoring either the CPU or mother board temperature.

ASRock has very good fan speed control options in their UEFIs. It does vary somewhat depending on the model of board. Given what I have read about what some other mother board manufactures are (not) supplying for fan speed control lately, ASRock is doing a good job.

I can assure you that both of the four pin PWM fan headers on your board are true PWM fan headers, in contrast to other mother board manufactures.

If you OC your processor, you might find that doing so will set the CPU fan speed to Full On/Maximum. That is done as a safety feature for users that are not experienced with over clocking and/or using the stock Intel CPU cooler. You can reset the CPU fan speed setting if that happens and it will remain that way.

I suggest using the UEFI Profiles to save your settings as a quick way to restore them if you clear the CMOS.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic