ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 Extreme6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamieboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99 Extreme6
    Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 10:19pm
Hello everyone

I'm going to building a new X99 machine in the next few weeks for music production and I'm seriously considering getting an X99 Extreme6 board - as it seems to be one of the most solid and reliable X99 boards out there! I've read lots of horror stories about other boards from the other big manufacturers!

The rest of my build will be a 5820K cpu, 32gb RAM, 3 x Samsung EVO 500gb SSD's, a NVidia 980ti gpu. Windows 7 64bit, soon to be upgrading to Windows 10.
I just have a few questions about the Extreme6.

I'm planning to use a Noctua D15 cpu cooler.
The Noctua website seems to suggest that this particular cooler will partially obstruct the top PCIe slot on the Extreme6. Does this seem likely? If so, could that lead to any connectivity problems? If I plug my GPU in the next PCIe slot down will it still run at the same speed? I will only be using one GPU.

I've heard that some X99 boards have had problems with USB 2 devices despite USB 3 being backwards compatible with USB2.
This is a bit of a worry. I'll be using my PC for music production and will be using an external audio interface - the Steinberg UR22. But this is a USB 2 device. I was hoping to get some assurance that the UR22 will function properly when connected to the X99 Extreme6 board.

Also, what kind of DPC latency does the EXtreme6 have? Since I'm using it for audio production latency is very important. I need low latency and no latency disrupting Interrupt Requests.

If I can get some information relating to my queries here I would be very grateful!

Thanks very much!

odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 10:35pm
Let me cover the GPU part.  I don't see how this will affect the GPU, but it will be affected my memory height and some will not fit under this cooler. 

You can contact Noctua them and ask about your question, have head they are helpful. 

But if needed  you can use the second slot PCIe 3 and run at 16x. 

This is from Noctua : 

Possible compatibility issues with video cards that have large protruding components at the back. Please see FAQ.

So it depends on the GPU, here is the support email to ask them about which GPU you get.

Edited by odiebugs - 23 Jul 2015 at 10:43pm
asrocking
jamieboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamieboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 10:40pm
Thanks for getting back to me odiebugs!
I'll be using low profile RAM so am not worried about problems there.
As for the GPU problem, I'm just going by this...
(scroll down to the X99 Asrock section)
But that's good to know that even if I can't use the top PCIe slot, the next one down will run my GPU at x16.
Anyone got any thoughts on my other questions??

Thanks
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 10:49pm
Thanks for the reply and have a great day, hope you can get a response or find what you need.

In case you don't hear about the  DPC.  

You must know of some Audio forums that have people who are pro's with audio production, or try and look for one to ask them.  

I don't see how editing audio or production in digital can be affected, I only assume it's the software being used and the only time latency would be is when playing it from the board but not when it's moved to a different source. 

But I'm no pro and could be wrong, so you should ask a pro.  

Edited by odiebugs - 23 Jul 2015 at 10:51pm
asrocking
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 11:11pm
There shouldn't be any problems with USB2 peripherals as the board has 2 USB2 ports on the back panel as well as 2 USB2 headers on the motherboard so if the device does not function correctly for whatever reason in a USB3 port you can use it on a native USB2 port. 

As for DPC latency I can't say as I have not used this board. I would guess it should be fairly good given the fact that this is an enthusiast platform aimed at high end users. None the less I would not take my word for it, maybe have a look around the web for others using this setup for the purposes you intend. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic