ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Howto: Edit Boot Menu Entries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100%Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Howto: Edit Boot Menu Entries
    Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 4:35pm
I have an X99 Extreme4, with the v3.60 UEFI.

The board has three drives mounted: a)NVMe Samsung 960 EVO, b)SSD Samsung 840. c)SSD Samsung 840.
All three drives are GPT. The NVMe drive contains Linux, drive B contains W10 and drive C contains data (docs, pics, music, etc.).

When I press F11 at boot to select Linux, or W10, I have options for 1) Linux, 2) Windows, 3 through 27) the NVMe drive, 28) drive B, 29) Drive B, 30) DVD, 31) USB

Question: I see no obvious way to edit/delete some of the redundant entries for the NVMe drive. How can I safely remove some of these entries without damaging my install, which otherwise works correctly?

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 11:59pm
I'm not aware of anything that will. There might be but I imagine it would be risky to do.

That is generated at the BIOS level.

I guess, and with a bit of humor, be thankful your choices are at the top?

Out of curiosity care to snap a pic of the list and post it here. I'll investigate some as I used to be rather good at BIOS editing. No promise though, ok?

100%Juice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100%Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 4:17am
I was afraid that I would be stuck with this mess. I'm trying to get a grip on my OCD!

I put a couple of pics on Imgur: http://imgur.com/a/fVpVD
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 7:52am
Originally posted by 100%Juice 100%Juice wrote:

I have an X99 Extreme4, with the v3.60 UEFI.

The board has three drives mounted: a)NVMe Samsung 960 EVO, b)SSD Samsung 840. c)SSD Samsung 840.
All three drives are GPT. The NVMe drive contains Linux, drive B contains W10 and drive C contains data (docs, pics, music, etc.).

When I press F11 at boot to select Linux, or W10, I have options for 1) Linux, 2) Windows, 3 through 27) the NVMe drive, 28) drive B, 29) Drive B, 30) DVD, 31) USB

Question: I see no obvious way to edit/delete some of the redundant entries for the NVMe drive. How can I safely remove some of these entries without damaging my install, which otherwise works correctly?

If you click on any existing Boot Manager entry, besides Empty, you should see this:

You have a Delete option for those entries.

My question is, why do all those entries appear. You said the NVMe drive has multiple entries in the Boot Manager tool? What is on that drive?

You can barely see it in the screenshot above, but my Windows 10 drive is a 960 EVO. I only get one entry for it in Boot Manager, I have not removed any entries, no need to do that. I'm very curious what is on your 960 EVO.

100%Juice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100%Juice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:26am
Thanks for your response!

Sadly, right clicking on these entries does nothing. Left clicking on them merely provides an opportunity to specify a different boot source, it does not offer the opportunity to delete, nor to rename.

As stated in my OP, the NVMe drive contains Linux, the first SSD contains W10 and the second SSD is for data storage.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic