ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

NVMe on X99M extreme4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 3:28am
Hmm.. I didnt see any setting for M2 yet. I was running a normal Sata M.2 disk from it before, so the connector itself should be enabled. But perhaps the PCIe is not. Where is that setting? Ive been looking around everywhere... or so i thought. 
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 3:39am
Originally posted by sparx sparx wrote:

Maybe you are confused about the naming? U.2 Is SFF-8639 wich is a PCIe interface. Its all the same thing. 

Thanks, I see now it was renamed to U.2.  Sata e, U2, how about we make 50 more interfaces so they can make 50 more drives to sell and make more money by changing them each year when thunderbolt  is out and is better.  
asrocking
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 3:40am

Hmm.. I didnt see any setting for M2 yet. I was running a normal Sata M.2 disk from it before, so the connector itself should be enabled. But perhaps the PCIe is not. Where is that setting? Ive been looking around everywhere... or so i thought. 

I don't know, LMAO.

Your manual doesn't have it, but it should be under storage, and under your Sata, RAID, settings. 

asrocking
sparx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 3:41am
Hehe. But U.2 is the future. Or.. right now it is. Drives are almost saturating the 32GB/s of interface maximum. Crazy.
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 3:46am

Hehe. But U.2 is the future. Or.. right now it is. Drives are almost saturating the 32GB/s of interface maximum. Crazy.

So what is the fastest NVME drive you can show me, thanks, want to check it out.

Also there might be a setting under Advanced, storage,  and under the Sata setting.

Should be M2_1, and have Auto or Force M2 or Force S Sata.  

But your manual say's nothing, I'm going by my Z97 with M2. 

So don't hate me if I'm wrong. 
asrocking
sparx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 3:50am
Not sure exactly what is fastest right now. But either Intel DC-P3700 1.2TB or above. 
Samsung SM1715 in the same size. 
Or Microns latest NVMe, dont remember the name now. 
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 3:51am
I think I'm in a cave.

Had no clue that these new drives could work the pcie 3.0 16x and use the 30g. 

Thanks Sparx, will look into them. 

Edited by odiebugs - 24 Jul 2015 at 3:52am
asrocking
sparx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 3:54am
Erhh.. the Intel disk doesnt excist in that size btw. heh. but any ways, normally the bigger the faster. Check out the datasheet for sweetpoint price/speed. Its pretty expencive MBs :) 
Some drives are getting pumped in size now also. So not all devices are faster the bigger they are. Best to read the specs before. 
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 4:01am
I looked at the P3700, looks like a SSD,  but say's pcie interface. 

Do you need a card like you have or a cable to pcie,  never saw this ?  

900.00,  I don't know if that's worth it.
asrocking
sparx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 2:37pm
Well. As i said before. There are two versions. One add in card, and one 2.5" disk with the very special connector. So i would go for the add in card if your are buying new. I didnt get the 2.5" to work yet. The cables are rare and the M.2 adapter doesnt work. 
Look at the Intel 750. Thats a consumer version of the same disk. Still pretty quick.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic