ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

IBM M1015 card not working on X79 xtreme6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vv111y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IBM M1015 card not working on X79 xtreme6
    Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 1:20am

I'm having a brutal time. Box was fully working until I popped in a M1015 and now I have to reinstall windows and that's not working while the card is in. 

Does anyone know what it takes to get this working? Info is below:

box:
- ASRock X79 Extreme6 BIOS P2.50
- Intel RST v3.5.0.1005
- M1015 firmware v?? (flashed IT mode in 2011)
- Xeon E5-1620 v2
- compatible ECC Ram
- PNY Quadro NVS450 video
- Seasonic platinum 750
- OS was is on Intel Rapid Storage RAID0 volume
- windows 7 ultimate 
- PCIe slots are x16, x16, x8. video in 1st slot
- BIOS: changed the pcie slot to gen2 after 1st boot probs.

-first boot "can't find NTLDR"
-2nd boot gets to desktop then BSOD. blinks off so can't even see what's written
-3rd boot can't find boot disk. 
pulled lsi card. Intel RST raid volume is there, but windows won't boot. needs restore. 
-Windows re-install. install DVD recognizes drives attached to M1015, no other. Gives a 'can't find drivers' and asks where they are. So can't even reinstall with card in.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 12:26pm
So you simply installed the M1015 card in your board, and it caused the problem(s) you listed?

Or did you install the card and connect  one or more drives to it before starting the PC?

Have you removed any drives from the PC? Or connected them to the M1015 card? When you installed Windows on the RAID 0 volume, were any other drives in the PC at the same time? If so, that could explain the failure to boot

You wrote you are using Intel RST v3.0.1005. To be more specific, you are using Intel RSTe v3.0.1005, which is the Intel Enterprise version of their RAID driver, and is used uniquely by the X79 chipset. I doubt Win 7 has a native RSTe driver, which may be what the Windows installer is looking for. Since your X79 board can also use the standard Intel IRST RAID driver, you usually need to choose between one or the other in the UEFI/BIOS.

The RSTe "F6" driver for use during a Windows installation is available on your board's download page, the RSTe SATA Floppy Image ver:3.5.0.1101, which is copied to a USB flash drive for loading during the Windows installation.

I don't understand your configuration with the M1015 card and your drives, previously and now during your attempted OS installation.

Your M1015 card does not support RAID in IT mode.
vv111y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vv111y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

So you simply installed the M1015 card in your board, and it caused the problem(s) you listed?

Or did you install the card and connect  one or more drives to it before starting the PC?
I attached drives right away

Have you removed any drives from the PC? Or connected them to the M1015 card? When you installed Windows on the RAID 0 volume, were any other drives in the PC at the same time? If so, that could explain the failure to boot
The initial install? only had optical drives and the RAID0 at the time. However, Now the RSTe volume is not recognized even if no drives attached to M1015. 
Quote You wrote you are using Intel RST v3.0.1005. To be more specific, you are using Intel RSTe v3.0.1005, which is the Intel Enterprise version of their RAID driver, and is used uniquely by the X79 chipset. I doubt Win 7 has a native RSTe driver, which may be what the Windows installer is looking for. Since your X79 board can also use the standard Intel IRST RAID driver, you usually need to choose between one or the other in the UEFI/BIOS.

The RSTe "F6" driver for use during a Windows installation is available on your board's download page, the RSTe SATA Floppy Image ver:3.5.0.1101, which is copied to a USB flash drive for loading during the Windows installation.
Will try that driver...As I recall I believe I did use RSTe for the initial install without a problem. I'll try the RSTe driver first, and if problems remain I'll switch to RST. 
I don't understand your configuration with the M1015 card and your drives, previously and now during your attempted OS installation.

Your M1015 card does not support RAID in IT mode.

If I understand you right, the M1015 is just used as an HBA for JBOD, nothing more. 

Thanks for the reply and I'll update once I tryout some of this info. 

vv111y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vv111y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 10:44pm
Hi, resurrecting thread. (Other work kept me from this)

So I did find out that intel drivers are needed to recognize the RST Raid volume for windows install/restore. And there are several options to choose from. 

I have been attempting restores from a backup image. That part works. However the system is still unstable. The short answer would be to get rid of the card, but that is one of the best ones and the intended use of this box calls for extra SATA ports. 

I also found out that lsi/Avago has a driver that shows up as 'Falcon-dataStor' in the windows driver list. It's for the 9211-8i, not the 9240 card that other guides recommend.  Someone on another forum found that worked for them. My system was more stable, but still has issues. So I need to know which version of the lsi drivers is the right one 

The other possibility I wonder about is whether there is an issue with using mismatched RSTe drivers. The backup image will have 1 version, and I may be using a different version when doing the restore process. I have no idea whether that can cause any problems. 

So possibly 2 driver issues. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic