ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 x SSD Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a.stagea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 x SSD Issues
    Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 8:05pm
Still trying to get my new Ryzen rig up and running after resolving SSD slot issues.

I swapped the 960 EVO from M2_1 to M2_2 and put the Crucial MX300 into M2_1 (as that slot recognises SATA devices)

I installed Windows 10 onto the EVO drive and it worked as expected and booted from that drive. The BIOS detected both SSD drives.

When in Windows, I couldn't see the Crucial drive so I went into Disk Management and it required me to format the Crucial drive, which I did.  It allocated Drive 0 to the Crucial having allocated Drive 1 to the Samsung when I installed Windows onto it.

Then i restarted and it would no longer boot.

The BIOS no longer detects the Samsung drive (only the Crucial) and I have no other drives connected. I tried disabling CMS but nothing changed.

I cannot select the Samsung drive as the boot drive and it isn't showing up as an option when pressing F11 to access the boot options.

Not sure what to try next other than pulling out the Crucial (which means removing the graphics card) and trying to boot again but then would mean I cannot use the Crucial.

Could it be that the BIOS looks in M2_1 first and if there is a drive there, it doesn't look in slot M2_2?
Ryzen 5 1600X - ASRock X370 Taichi - ID Cooling SE214C - MSI RX480 Gaming X 8GB - Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 - Samsung 960 EVO - Crucial MX300 M.2 SATA SSD - Fractal Design Define R5 White & Gold
Nemesis.ie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nemesis.ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 8:43pm
With CMS on, are the options set for legacy or UEFI? Have you tried switching the storage one between UEFI and Legacy to see if that does anything?
a.stagea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a.stagea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Nemesis.ie Nemesis.ie wrote:

With CMS on, are the options set for legacy or UEFI? Have you tried switching the storage one between UEFI and Legacy to see if that does anything?

Tried different combinations but they made no difference.

Only M2_1 is showing up and M2_2 is not showing at all.  This only happened after I formatted the Crucial drive in M2_1 when I was in Windows.
Ryzen 5 1600X - ASRock X370 Taichi - ID Cooling SE214C - MSI RX480 Gaming X 8GB - Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 - Samsung 960 EVO - Crucial MX300 M.2 SATA SSD - Fractal Design Define R5 White & Gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nemesis.ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 10:29pm
Bummer. I wonder did something get nuked. Did you say you could still see the errant drive if you put it on its own in M2_1?

If so, it might be worth doing that and formatting it again from a USB/optical boot drive (assuming that works).

Also, did you format with the settings (CMS) in Legacy or UEFI? You need to install Windows (fresh) with the storage in UEFI mode to have Windows be in UEFI mode (and you will then see something like "Windows master boot" or something as the name of a boot drive option.

I installed with CMS on and all options at UEFI and then switched off CMS for a faster boot. But if I need to boot from USB, I just turn on CMS and set all to UEFI except storage at legacy.

No idea if that will help you but something to consider. :)
a.stagea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a.stagea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 6:39pm
Thanks for the suggestions and it turned out that I had formatted Windows using MBR instead of GPT. Also formatted it using Legacy instead of UEFI.

So I removed the Crucial drive, put the Samsung in M2_1 then reformatted everything as I should have done in the first place.

Exchanged the M.2 Crucial for a 2.5" version to simply my life.

Works as it should now.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nemesis.ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:12pm
Good stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic