ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gaming Zone > Gaming PC Build Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Initial Setup After Posting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Initial Setup After Posting?
    Posted: 10 May 2017 at 9:28am
I've been looking around for guides on what to do next after your system POSTS.

A lot of the guides are many years old so does anyone have a guide that is more recent?

I'm really interested in these specific areas:
1. I'll just assume you'd want to update to the latest known stable Bios for your board.

2. UEFI Windows installation using GPT.

3. Driver install orders for the hardware. Does it matter if I install The CPU drivers or the GPU drivers etc first or can they be done in any order?

4. Fan speed preferences...I can PWM my fans on the case with its included hub, but that would base all of my fans on the CPU_Fan temperature curve. Would it be better to single the CPU cooler out on its own and then PWM the rest of the fans from an alternate header? I have 2x140mm intakes and 1x140mm exhaust not including the PSU fan which is also exhausting from the rear. I have it set to continous exhaust instead of hybrid mode.

5. Alternate clocking profiles...Ideally I'd like to be able to use a program that will allow me to run an OC, but also be able to save a profile that lets me either Underclock or more ideally Undervolt the CPU. Is there such an application that allows on the fly swapping of profiles?

6. Software monitoring for hardware...I see a lot of people using applications to see what's going on underneath the hood. Is there a list of must haves that is pretty standard in the community?

7. Stress testing the system...I've seen debates as to how long one should stress their system for stability and/or hardware testing for flaws. 24 hours seems a bit insane to me, but more importantly at which point is the testing done? After the fresh windows install once all Windows updates and all of your drivers are installed?

8. Is there a guide to Overclocking that is written for dummies? I've looked at quite a few, but cannot relate to any of them since they assume you know what all of the crazy science behind it means.

I've touched on some of these topics here before, but am looking to compile them in one area so that I don't have to dig through multiple threads to start from scratch.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by AlbinoRhino - 13 May 2017 at 11:22pm
AlbinoRhino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 5:51am
Newbuild Installation

Motherboard:Asrock X370 Killer SLI A/C
CPU:AMD4 Ryzen 1700X
GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 ICX
RAM:Trident Flare X 3200 (F4-3200C14D-16GFX)
CPU Cooler: Noctua U12S SE-AM4
SSD: Crucial MX300 275GB
HHD: WD 1TB Blue

---------------------------------------------
Update Bios via DOS.(Only required if your Mobo shipped with the stock Bios)
DOS Flashing Instructions:
http://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=DOS8

Asrock X370 Killer SLI A/C DOS Bios File (Bios v2.2):
http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X370%20Killer%20SLIac/index.asp#BIOS

Install Windows:

1. Create a bootable USB Install-ISO using Rufus or Windows Media Creation Tool:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-install-windows-10-a.html

2. Temporarily Disable FastBoot, SecureBoot and CSM within the UEFI. Enable Boot from USB (Press the Del key during boot to enter the Bios).

3. Disconnect any drives that aren't going to be the primary Windows OS drive.

4. Disconnect from the Internet while installing Windows and drivers until your driver installation is complete ie unplug the Ethernet cable and/or do not set up Wifi during Windows installation. (See post #4 by parsec below).

5. Boot computer with the USB Installation key plugged into PC (Use the back USB hub...not the front case USB hub).

6. UEFI-GPT Partition Layout
Partition 1 - Recovery
Partition 2 - System - The EFI System partition that contains the NTLDR, HAL, Boot.txt, and other files that are needed to boot the system, such as drivers.
Partition 3 - MSR - The Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition that reserves space on each disk drive for subsequent use by operating system software.
Partition 4 - Primary - Where Windows is to be installed to.

Driver Installation:

CPU:
Ryzen 7 1700X:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

GPU:
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 Driver:
https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2652350&p=1

GTX 1080 FTW2 Free Ram Upgrade. Flash this on the GPU Bios No.2 to test for stability. Slide the Bios jumper switch from 1 to 2 under the front panel.
https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2652350

Motherboard:
Asrock X370 Killer SLI A/C:
AMD All In One Driver and individually listed drivers (Bluetooth, Wifi, LAN, Realtek, SATA, etc):
http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X370%20Killer%20SLIac/index.asp#osW1064

Edited by AlbinoRhino - 13 May 2017 at 11:26pm
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 6:37am
Wouldn't you want to install the motherboard drivers first?

Edited by clubfoot - 13 May 2017 at 6:38am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 12:15pm
To answer some of your points in your first post:

1. Any board should work fine with the UEFI/BIOS version from the factory. Newer versions should be improvements and may add new features, but that is not guaranteed. When you install Windows, you want stable hardware, meaning CPU and memory over clocks are not a good idea to be using at that time. You cannot tell if an OC is stable just sitting in the UEFI UI.

2. The things you wrote in your second post about installing in UEFI mode are right, the guide you included a link to is a good one. The way you signal to Windows you want a UEFI booting installation, and the partition scheme you listed, is to select the correct entry in the boot order for your USB installation media. The entry you select in the boot order should be, "UEFI: <usb flash drive name>". The prefix "UEFI:" is the one to use, you might find an entry with the prefix "AHCI:", which is not the one to use for a UEFI booting installation.

For a full UEFI booting installation, the CSM option in the UEFI must be set to Disabled. You can also just set the CSM sub-option, Launch Storage OpROM Policy, to UEFI Only.

AHCI is the default SATA mode for all modern boards. If you are using an NVMe SSD, still use AHCI although that does not apply to NVMe drives. If you plan on using RAID at some time, be sure to set the SATA mode to RAID before you install Windows.

3. Driver installation order depends upon the type of system you have, AMD or Intel.

For AMD, always run the AMD All in One driver installation package first. That is not just the chipset driver installer. You can get the All in One driver package from your board's download page. The SATA AHCI and RAID drivers are part of that package. For Intel, run the Chipset installer first, and then the Intel Management Engine software installer second. These drivers are not really just for the CPU, but for the chipset in the board, which provides most of the features that need drivers. After that, the order of driver installation does not matter. GPU next is fine, but no reason to do it first.

When installing Windows 10, IMO it is important to NOT connect the PC to the Internet during the installation, and not until all the drivers are installed by you. That is, unless you want Windows to install drivers for you. If you have the PC connected to the Internet during the installation, once the PC boots Windows 10, it will immediately begin installing the drivers it thinks are correct. I simply do not trust it to make the best choices.

4. Your board has four PWM compatible fan headers, plus the PWM CPU fan header. All of them can be set to monitor the CPU temperature to change the fan speed. What is "better" for fan connections depends on your preference, and the type of CPU cooler you use. For example, as the CPU temperature rises under load, when using an air CPU cooler, or really most liquid cooling configurations too, you want to bring more cool air into the PC case, and remove the heat from the CPU cooler. That's why the PC case fans are synchronized with the CPU temperature. When you are gaming, the video card is producing more heat than the CPU ever will, and you want to get that heat out of the PC case. Video card tend to dump most of their heat into the PC case, not out of the small vents on their video output panel. Synchronizing the PC case fans to the video card temperature is not easy, and since the CPU is under a good load while gaming, again increasing the PC case fan speeds with the increase in CPU temperature works best.

5. Over clocking enthusiasts will tell you the only way to OC is using the UEF/BIOS, and not a Windows program. You can create multiple over clocking, stock, and under clocking profiles in the UEFI, but need to select them in the UEFI, which is not convenient. Intel has a good Windows over clocking program called the Extreme Tuning Utility, but it won't work for AMD systems. AMD for Ryzen now has the Ryzen Master software that runs in Windows, but is not as good as Intel's. ASRock has a basic Windows over clocking feature within your board's A-Tuning utility.

6. You skipped 6. Wink

7. Opinions on hardware monitoring software are like any opinion, everyone has a favorite and they are different from person to person. IMO, HWiNFO64 is all I need for 90% of my needs. AIDA64 is also good. CPU-Z is good for memory information, but has bugs with new systems like Ryzen for its VCore reading for ASRock boards.

8. Stress testing is an area I will not inflict my opinions about on others. LOL

9. Over clocking is different in the details between AMD and Intel, and even different between different systems made by AMD and Intel. One general guide for beginners is therefore not available that will go into any depth. You must keep studying the guides specific to your system, search on the terms used to get general definitions of what they mean. The Ryzen Master software for over clocking in Windows should have enough help information to get you started.

In general on any platform, as you increase the CPU speed, you must increase the voltage provided to the CPU, called VCore. The higher the OC, the more VCore is needed to make it stable. Beyond that is adjusting other voltages specific to a system.

I spent the time to write this because you showed us you spent time researching this yourself, and shared what you found.  That is in contrast to others I've seen that just ask, what do I do in one sentence. I like to give the response that is deserved.
AlbinoRhino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 12:17am
I'll have to run some tests regarding the PWM hub VS individual fan curves. My initial concern was regarding the reviews of my GPU where one of the fans doesn't kick in until 60°. I've since learned that the two fans are asynchronous and I can set up a more aggressive curve on the board itself. It leaks heat out of the front and the backplate is actually a heatsink so I'll need to move that heat. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/evga_geforce_gtx_1080_ftw2_review,10.html

I'll be adding two more fans and just need to figure out where to put them. I'm thinking one bottom exhaust and one more rear exhaust.

I was curious about that AMD All In One driver package. I'll download it and after in stalling it I'll compare it to the individual driver downloads. Unless it is compressed differently the file size between it and the combined individual downloads wasn't adding up.

I do appreciate the responses. Sometimes (well most of the time actually) it is very difficult to get clarifications on details around the web.

Edited by AlbinoRhino - 14 May 2017 at 12:19am
Headingly33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Headingly33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 10:46pm
Jetez un ?il ? celui-ci https://windowsmaximizer.com/fr/update/pilotes/ si votre pilote Windows manque d'une manière ou d'une autre, vous pouvez facilement le réinstaller en le téléchargeant. J'ai fait face au même genre de problème et j'ai trouvé la solution.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic