ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 fatal1ty Gaming Pro CPU Temp Sensor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 5:09am
That is HWinfo and it's not not 'out of spec', it's p-phase overclocked and at a lower vcore for 3.9 GHz (on all 8 cores) than most.

I'm pretty sure you're looking at your vddcr_soc which is your SoC voltage or Core VID, neither of which are your vcore unless you mean 3.8 on a single core with XFR.

Edited by yoonie - 25 May 2017 at 8:37am
Optik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 8:52pm
1700 is 65W cpu overclocked to 155W  with your settings
my vsoc 0.95V

Edited by Optik - 25 May 2017 at 8:52pm
Taichi X370
AMD R7 1700X
Arctic Liquid FreeZer 240
G.Skill Flare X 3200 cl 14@2933
PowerColer RX480
Phanteks EnTHoo Luxe
BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 11 550W
Nejaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nejaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 4:25am
The socket sensor is most likely used due to how quickly heat is transferred from one stage to the next.

For example, take a gas stove.  Once lit, the flame is immediately as hot as it's going to get.  You control the temperature by how much gas is supplied.  This is essentially equivalent to the Tdie temperature.

Now, put a pan on top of the flame.  The pan isn't immediately hot.  It takes time for the heat to transfer from the flame to the pan.  This is equivalent to the CPU lid and thermal paste.

Once you put water or bacon (mmm...delicious bacon) inside the pan, it yet again takes time for heat to transfer from the flame, through the pan, to the contents.  It's the same path with the CPU: Tdie (or the Zen cores) through the lid through the thermal paste and finally to the heatsink.

It doesn't matter if the fan sensors were tied to the Tdie - the heat simply would not transfer quickly enough to the heatsink where it can be dissipated.  Instead, your fans would blasting away, doing nothing, because no heat has transferred and yet the Tdie would immediately jump 70C under full load and will stay there until the heatsink catches up.  The below image is proof of concept.

With 16 threads at 100%, it takes 1 minute and 23 seconds of sustained heat transfer to increase the socket temp 12C. It takes a total of 3 minutes and 45 seconds to reach maximum heat transfer.  In fact, the heatsink and fans don't effectively reduce the CPU or Tdie temp until after the app has been running for 8 minutes.

I have my CPU fan set to go to 80% at 45C (100% at 70C).  All my testing shows this to be about the sweet spot for my CPU heatsink and fan.  It's set this way primarily for noise control.  As you can see, it maintains a very good temp under full load.  My CPU doesn't usually go above 45C while gaming.  All my case fans go to 100% at 55C.

The issue isn't what sensor ASRock ties the fans to.  The issue is how quickly can you transfer heat from your CPU to your heatsink.

Edited by Nejaa - 27 May 2017 at 4:26am
yoonie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yoonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 8:31pm
Your analogy is flawed and using Tdie instead of a socket temp would certainly solve the problem.

Think of it this way- you're driving a car whose speedometer lags behind by 5+ seconds and shows you going 15 mph slower than you actually are.  You're trying to avoid speeding but you're not actually sure how fast you're going because your speedometer is inaccurate AND slow- maybe you accelerated a bit past the limit but you're not sure because your speedometer hasn't caught up yet.

The only solution then is to drive extra slowly and start slowing down extra early (since I only know how fast I was going 5 or more seconds ago, and not exactly even then).

"I have my CPU fan set to go to 80% at 45C (100% at 70C).  All my testing shows this to be about the sweet spot for my CPU heatsink and fan.  It's set this way primarily for noise control.  As you can see, it maintains a very good temp under full load.  My CPU doesn't usually go above 45C while gaming.  All my case fans go to 100% at 55C."

Essentially, that's you driving really really slow and carefully.  If it wasn't for the spikes in temp when the CPU temp lags way behind Tdie temp, I could run my fans at 15% at 45C and 70% at 60C with no problems (as I did on my previous mobo, same parts otherwise). Unfortunately, I have to run them at 40+% at 45C and 90% at 60c or else the delay in responding to temp changes causes my Tdie to skyrocket (especially when doing something like opening a stress test which causes a big spike).

I understand how CPU cooling works perfectly fine, and my system overclocked not 'out of spec'.  This is 4th time people incorrectly explained things to me that I already knew rather than addressing the actual problem.  The problem is that Asrock is using a socket sensor (if it is a socket sensor) instead of Tdie.  It's not solvable on my end- it's possible to work around it but it's definitely a problem.

Edited by yoonie - 27 May 2017 at 8:37pm
Nemesis.ie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nemesis.ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 9:51pm
Well put.

If folks want to run using socket temp, maybe the solution is for Asrock to add options for that like they do with the chassis fan having options forM/B or CPU.

That would keep all of us happy and add more control options for e.g. case fans linked to socket so they spin up faster than using M/B but slower than using CPU(Tdie).

yoonie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yoonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 8:50pm
Can anyone from Asrock respond?  If this isn't going to be addressed I'd like to know ASAP so I can buy extra fan controllers and temp sensors or something... (ugh)

Edited by yoonie - 04 Jun 2017 at 3:22am
lquang4321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lquang4321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 10:15am
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/67pc95/asrock_please_fix_cpu_temp_reporting_on_am4/?st=j3kxmtaw&sh=8d20152a

There is a user that asked the support team, and they said it's normal. So I'm leaning towards they won't fix the issue.
yoonie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yoonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 3:02am
That's pretty disappointing.  Maybe if more people complain they'll consider fixing it in the future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic