ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

8.1 drivers for 10?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaddyOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8.1 drivers for 10?
    Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 10:33pm
So i have a Z68 Professional gen 3 and i just saw my system inturrept go up to 20% and it's a clean download of windows 10. i was wondering if the drivers that are 8.1 can be used on windows 10? or do i have to wait until drivers for 10 come out
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 12:42pm
I've used Win 8.1 drivers with several Win 10 TP versions, and they all worked fine with an occasional broken feature (Intel LAN driver Teaming feature failed.)

Don't forget that Win 10 has many drivers included with it that are used during the installation. Every PC/mother board I installed Win 10 TP on was at least basically functional before I installed any drivers myself.

The Windows Update service in Win 10 will then begin replacing drivers it finds new or better drivers for (ie, video driver from EVGA for an EVGA video card) by itself.

You can use Windows 8.1 drivers, or find Windows 10 drivers provided for newer boards from the ASRock website, or by using Intel's own driver download pages.

Smaller companies like Realtek and ASMedia are slower releasing new drivers, so we all may be waiting a while for them to appear.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 1:06pm
I agree with Parsec here, most windows 8.1 drivers will work fine in windows 10 with the exception of a few where I wouldn't recommend it:

Graphics drivers on new GPUs (DX 12 support) as there may be issues using drivers that lack DX12 support.

Some SATA/RAID controllers (Intel ones should be ok) such as Asmedia, LSI and any other controller added to the motherboard to extend storage options may have problems running on win 8.1 drivers.

Aside from those most, if not all windows 8.1 drivers should work. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic