ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen 3 + ASRock - Hardware Unboxed Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryzen 3 + ASRock - Hardware Unboxed Review
    Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 3:35pm

Edited by Xaltar - 28 Jul 2017 at 3:36pm
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 7:44pm
Just to compare, in Gamersnexus' review the 1300X couldn't beat the i3-7350K in gaming benchmarks even when OC'd and comparing to a stock i3-7350K - and this also applied in BF 1, where the OC'd 1300X scored lower marks for average FPS as well as 1% and 0.1% lows. The other gaming benchmarks that were run were Total War: Warhammer, Watchdogs 2, Metro: Last Light, GTA V, Ashes of the Singularity (AotS) and AotS: Escalation. The Ryzen 3 was pretty awful in Watchdogs 2, but this may be down to poor game optimization. In production workloads the story was less surprising: better than the i3-7350K in multithreaded applications, worse in single threaded performance.

Overall, the i3-7350K seems like the better bang for buck now that the arrival of Ryzen 3 has caused some vendors to drop prices, although this may of course be just temporary. Neither CPU is a good choice for getting any sort of heavy lifting done, but both are adequate for light use. In gaming the Ryzen 3 needs to be OC'd to compete with (or, in Hardware Unboxed's case, surpass) the stock i3-7350K, but the i3 can - and should - also be overclocked and then the Ryzen 3 is again left behind in gaming. Of course for those that are considering to upgrade their system down the road, the Ryzen platform could make more sense.

Personally I'm a bit underwhelmed by the Ryzen 3. I agree with Hardware Unboxed that it's probably worth it to spend a bit more and get at least an R5 1400 with those extra threads.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 8:08pm
Ryzen 3 is a true quad core and will shine vs a 2c4t in more threaded loads. I am somewhat underwhelmed too but not surprised. For someone looking to build a solid all round PC on a tight budget the Ryzen 3 beats out the Pentium and i3 range from intel. It also won't be long until 2c4t starts to flail in games now that higher core counts are becoming more prevalent than ever before. SMT can't match up to real cores. 

IMO, the Ryzen 3 should have come in at around the price of the G4560 for the r3 1200 and the 1300x should be where the 1200 is now. That is the market I would have targeted if I were in AMD's position.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 6:39pm
I've been looking at more reviews and the Ryzen 3 1200 is actually looking a bit better than I initially thought. Sure, it doesn't offer great performance, but it's roughly half the price of a Ryzen 5 1600 and the price jump from a Ryzen 3 1200 to a Ryzen 5 1400 is about the same - or even larger - than the price jump from a Ryzen 5 1400 to a Ryzen 5 1600. This means that the extra threads on the 1400 would come at a relatively high cost. If I decide to gradually upgrade my current system, I might actually go for the 1200 after all.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 8:06pm
petrolhead

the logic for some people is sound to buy the cheaper cpu when building up a new system
allowing important extra few bucks/euros/pounds to buy better suited ram/graphics/psu and at a later date 6 months-year when you have some spare cash then purchase a better suited mid range/priced cpu
from my experiance the r5 1600 really seems to hit the mark of price vs performance i can see this cpu being the biggest seller

it wont be very long in terms of pc tech before the r5 1600 is easy to buy a lot cheaper anyway
when zen2/zen+ is launched ebay will have plenty for sale ,or in fact good discounts should be had buying new from large dealers

i also think your logic about cores and threads is sound thinking
in my view
either get the cheaper 4c and clock it or go the proper next stage and get a 6 core

the cpus between that eg 4c8t or the ones with half the cahce disabled just dont make much sense in the pricing stages

its kinda like the old phenom2 cpu range either grab the 4 core and clock it or go full blast and get a 6 core
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

petrolhead

the logic for some people is sound to buy the cheaper cpu when building up a new system
allowing important extra few bucks/euros/pounds to buy better suited ram/graphics/psu and at a later date 6 months-year when you have some spare cash then purchase a better suited mid range/priced cpu
from my experiance the r5 1600 really seems to hit the mark of price vs performance i can see this cpu being the biggest seller

it wont be very long in terms of pc tech before the r5 1600 is easy to buy a lot cheaper anyway
when zen2/zen+ is launched ebay will have plenty for sale ,or in fact good discounts should be had buying new from large dealers

i also think your logic about cores and threads is sound thinking
in my view
either get the cheaper 4c and clock it or go the proper next stage and get a 6 core

the cpus between that eg 4c8t or the ones with half the cahce disabled just dont make much sense in the pricing stages

its kinda like the old phenom2 cpu range either grab the 4 core and clock it or go full blast and get a 6 core

Thread Digger EmbarrassedConfusedTongue
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 12:29am
The Bristol Ridge AM4 Athlons and APUs are another budget entry into the AM4 platform. I see a fair amount of "why did AMD bother" but the fact is, not everyone can afford a full platform upgrade all at once. Bristol Ridge AM4 CPUs will encourage users to upgrade to the platform and allow them to upgrade further later on. There is no way this is coincidence. Intel has Celeron, AMD has these now. APUs offer particular value in that they have integrated graphics, it's even decent enough for casual gaming and E-Sports (albeit not at blistering FPS). 

Loving it Smile 

And yeah, lil bit of a necro there LOL
BitcoTom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitcoTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 2:46am
Yeah !
It'll work with minerOne software, I hope !
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 6:51am
I'm going to go ahead and resurrect this old thread once more, since I've nearly completed my new Ryzen build and I ended up getting one the the CPUs that previously made maybe the least sense to me: the 1500X.

Initially I was planning on getting the 1200. After all, Ryzen 2 is coming next year and upgrading from a 1200 would sting the least. If I'd choose to wait for Ryzen 3, the 1200 would still be able to get nearly all out of my GTX 1060. However, I started to miss those extra threads after looking at benchmarks, considering the various games I like to play and a possible GPU upgrade next year. Also, I would certainly want to overclok the snot out of it, which would mean that the stock cooler would have to be replaced. That would mean a significant price hike and the 1200 started looking less like the great deal I had thought it was.

The next CPU I considered was the 1400. Extra threads meant steadier performance in thread hungry games, but it would come with the same, smaller cooler as the 1200. Overclocking the 1400 would be inevitable, and so would be having to buy a better cooler. Also, the 1400 had less L3 cache than the 1500X, which just rubbed me the wrong way even though the difference in performance is in most cases negligible.

I was still sceptical of the 1500X, so I quickly considered the 1600. However, I knew I was going for a mATX build, which meant the VRM of the motherboard would at best be average. And again, I would want to overclock the CPU and even though the 1600 comes with the larger stock cooler, it would benefit from a bigger one. Finding a suitable cooler could be a challenge and if I'd have to opt for a tower cooler, then I might have to worry about the VRM temperatures. Furthermore, since I currently have a GTX 1060, I wouldn't really benefit from the extra power the 1600 had to offer before I would upgrade my GPU. Keep the stock cooler and disable a few cores in favor of higher clock speeds? It just didn't seem right.

So, I started to feel the 1500X would be the answer after all. It had the extra threads, the full 16 MB of L3 cache and the bigger stock cooler. It would have decent single thread performance even at stock speeds, yet the stock cooler should have enough headroom for overclocking so that I could skip spending money on an aftermarket cooler if I wanted to take that route. Also, my motherboard's VRM should be able to handle the four core without issues, especially if I could keep the stock cooler, which is a top-down blowing design. During the process of planning my new rig I had seen the 1500X on sale and I started to regret I hadn't bought it when I had the chance. I decided that if I'd see it on sale again, I'd get it. I did and, well, I did.

TL;DR: The CPU I previously thought to be one of the least sensible Ryzen CPUs ended up providing the most bang for buck and being the most rounded choice in my use case.

Now all that's left is installing an OS and I can start fighting with memory speeds, temperatures and clock speed multipliers...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic