ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Request] Stock Preset Fancurve Data

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Request] Stock Preset Fancurve Data
    Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 1:40pm
Is it possible to get the numbers for the stock fancurves that come preset in the Bios? It would be icing on the cake if they were actually part of the descriptions inside of the Bios when selecting them.

I haven't quite figured out how to set a satisfactory custom curve since the change in the CPU_FAN1 sensor of Bios 3.00 so I have selected "Silent" in the mean time.
AlbinoRhino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 3:33pm
Is there any information on this available anywhere?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by AlbinoRhino AlbinoRhino wrote:

Is it possible to get the numbers for the stock fancurves that come preset in the Bios? It would be icing on the cake if they were actually part of the descriptions inside of the Bios when selecting them.

I haven't quite figured out how to set a satisfactory custom curve since the change in the CPU_FAN1 sensor of Bios 3.00 so I have selected "Silent" in the mean time.

You can easily look at the predefined fan speed curves in the UEFI/BIOS.

In the UEFI, go to the H/W Monitoring screen, and click on the FANTastic Tuning feature.

The initial display upon entering that screen will be a graph of the Silent fan speed curve/graph. The predefined fan speed curves have a button at the top of the screen, and clicking each of them will cause their curve/graph to be displayed.

The ASRock utility for your board also has a FANTastic Tuning option, but will only show the currently selected fan speed curve for each of the fan headers. You cannot select each of the predefined curves in the utility.
AlbinoRhino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 7:24pm
[URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by AlbinoRhino AlbinoRhino wrote:

[URL=][/URL]Is it possible to get the numbers for the stock fancurves that come preset in the Bios? It would be icing on the cake if they were actually part of the descriptions inside of the Bios when selecting them.

You can easily look at the predefined fan speed curves in the UEFI/BIOS.

In the UEFI, go to the H/W Monitoring screen, and click on the FANTastic Tuning feature.

The initial display upon entering that screen will be a graph of the Silent fan speed curve/graph. The predefined fan speed curves have a button at the top of the screen, and clicking each of them will cause their curve/graph to be displayed.

The ASRock utility for your board also has a FANTastic Tuning option, but will only show the currently selected fan speed curve for each of the fan headers. You cannot select each of the predefined curves in the utility.

Ah yeah...So this is exactly what I've been looking for. I think I've been able to control the crazy fan speed fluctuations by adjusting the stock fan curves. I'm updating to bv3.10 atm and will confirm whether or not they work as well on the newer Bios.

Thank you very much for pointing this out to me. I know the fan temperature reading changes in the Bios were made due to some consensus, but they broke my fluid fan speed setup. This definitely has helped make it smooth again without having to create custom profiles from scratch.

Edited by AlbinoRhino - 10 Aug 2017 at 7:27pm
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 2:18am
I was testing my setup since I've changed the stock 1700 wraith cooler for a new Evga AIO CLC 240.

I noted higher VRM temperatures because now there is no fan on the CPU socket which eventually helped some airflow into the VRM heatsinks.

To lower those temps, now I have to change the airflow to my entire case, and put a fan on the top of the case directly where the VRMs are located.

After that brief (?) explanation, on to the point: I think, if it's possible ofcourse, would be from great help to have VRM Temp as an added temperature sensor to drive fans connectors in the fantastic fan tuning utility on UEFI, so we can use one chassis fan connector to control a fan which in turn blows against VRMs, and change its speed based on VRMs temp.

That's make any sense?

I have the K4 gaming by the way.

Thanks

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 9:39am
Originally posted by nangu nangu wrote:

I was testing my setup since I've changed the stock 1700 wraith cooler for a new Evga AIO CLC 240.

I noted higher VRM temperatures because now there is no fan on the CPU socket which eventually helped some airflow into the VRM heatsinks.

To lower those temps, now I have to change the airflow to my entire case, and put a fan on the top of the case directly where the VRMs are located.

After that brief (?) explanation, on to the point: I think, if it's possible ofcourse, would be from great help to have VRM Temp as an added temperature sensor to drive fans connectors in the fantastic fan tuning utility on UEFI, so we can use one chassis fan connector to control a fan which in turn blows against VRMs, and change its speed based on VRMs temp.

That's make any sense?

I have the K4 gaming by the way.

Thanks

There are two ASRock Gaming K4 boards, the Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 and the Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4. From your post, my guess is you have the Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4.

Your idea makes a lot of sense, particularly in the situation you encountered with your AIO type CPU cooler. Using that type of CPU cooler normally results in reduced to zero air flow over the CPU VRM heat sink. Your new fan configuration is virtually a necessity when using an AIO or custom liquid cooling.

Many of the ASRock X370 boards have VRM temperature readings available, but none that are monitored for fan speed control. I have seen boards that have a small fan mounted to the chipset heat sink, with a sensor to monitor the chipset temperature and control its fan. So your idea would not be difficult to implement.

A work around plan for your idea could be implemented simply with the current fan speed control options (I hope) your board has.

We know as the load on a CPU increases, so does its temperature, and the amount of power it requires/uses. So the CPU VRM must supply more power to the CPU, and of course the VRM chips become warmer too. Since the CPU and VRM temperatures will both increase with the load on the CPU, we can use the CPU temperature as the trigger to increase the speed of a fan used to cool the CPU VRM. The fan header being used for the VRM cooling fan is configured to react to the CPU temperature. My ASRock X370 board has that option available for all of the chassis fan headers. That is exactly what I do with my X370 PC, using a AIO CPU cooler.

This plan is not perfect, since the low load CPU temperature with an AIO or other liquid cooling will likely be lower than the VRM temperature, and the VRM temperature will be higher due to the use of those liquid coolers. That could be compensated for somewhat by having the VRM fan's speed set higher at a lower CPU temperature, and set to increase its speed with small changes in the CPU temperature.

I don't know if a UEFI/BIOS update would be enough to change the monitoring of one of the chassis fan headers from the mother board temperature to the VRM temperature. If that is all that was required, and the board has a VRM temperature sensor, then it could be done.

Edited by parsec - 17 Aug 2017 at 9:40am
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

There are two ASRock Gaming K4 boards, the Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 and the Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4. From your post, my guess is you have the Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4.

Your idea makes a lot of sense, particularly in the situation you encountered with your AIO type CPU cooler. Using that type of CPU cooler normally results in reduced to zero air flow over the CPU VRM heat sink. Your new fan configuration is virtually a necessity when using an AIO or custom liquid cooling.

Many of the ASRock X370 boards have VRM temperature readings available, but none that are monitored for fan speed control. I have seen boards that have a small fan mounted to the chipset heat sink, with a sensor to monitor the chipset temperature and control its fan. So your idea would not be difficult to implement.

A work around plan for your idea could be implemented simply with the current fan speed control options (I hope) your board has.

We know as the load on a CPU increases, so does its temperature, and the amount of power it requires/uses. So the CPU VRM must supply more power to the CPU, and of course the VRM chips become warmer too. Since the CPU and VRM temperatures will both increase with the load on the CPU, we can use the CPU temperature as the trigger to increase the speed of a fan used to cool the CPU VRM. The fan header being used for the VRM cooling fan is configured to react to the CPU temperature. My ASRock X370 board has that option available for all of the chassis fan headers. That is exactly what I do with my X370 PC, using a AIO CPU cooler.

This plan is not perfect, since the low load CPU temperature with an AIO or other liquid cooling will likely be lower than the VRM temperature, and the VRM temperature will be higher due to the use of those liquid coolers. That could be compensated for somewhat by having the VRM fan's speed set higher at a lower CPU temperature, and set to increase its speed with small changes in the CPU temperature.

I don't know if a UEFI/BIOS update would be enough to change the monitoring of one of the chassis fan headers from the mother board temperature to the VRM temperature. If that is all that was required, and the board has a VRM temperature sensor, then it could be done.

Thanks for your detailed response. I forgot to mention my K4 is the X370 model, so I have VRM temp sensors on it.

As you said, I drive the fan over the VRM heatsinks based on CPU temperature, and it works very well in a CPU intensive scenario.

The main problem is on games, where the GPU is used at full load and the CPU is at lower loads, but the VRM still has to supply full volts because the load spreads across many cores by the Windows Scheduler, so its taking heat while the CPU don't because AIO's efficiency. On this scenario, with an OC'ed CPU, GPU's generating a lot of heat, VRMs got hotter quickly, so I need to blow more air inside, and at the same time, take out more hot air from inside. Based only on CPU temp is tricky to drive the fans.

Anyway, your idea of using a slightly modified fan curve for this fan based on CPU temp is very good for this scenario, thank you :-)

I hope Asrock's engineers will introduce VRM sensors as a fan driving factor in the future. It would be more easier to control our fans.

Thanks you!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic