ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

No HDD-Saver for Z170 boards?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No HDD-Saver for Z170 boards?
    Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 6:39pm
Hi,

is the HDD Saver tool no more available for the ne Skylake boards?

Thanks!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 3:48am
It looks like you are right, the Z170 boards I just checked don't seem to have that connector on the board anymore. Plus not listed in the specifications. Cry

Personally, I like that feature, and use it on my ASRock boards that have it. ASRock recently added a stand alone HDD Saver program you can get with APP Shop. So you could use it without starting A-Tuning, or whichever ASRock utility your board has.

I assume a feature like HDD Saver is not "sexy" like fancy audio components on a board, or over clocking and gaming features. So maybe most users don't care much about it.

The way it (must) works may have seemed clumsy to users, the need to restart the PC to detect the drives. That is unavoidable, since power is not supplied to the HDD Saver power port except on a restart, as part of the security concept of this feature.

I don't recall anyone having problems with HDD Saver in the old ASRock forum. I did wonder about the power for two drives being supplied by the board and the small header for the HDD Saver cable. I use it with SSDs, which don't use much power and 99.99% of SSDs only use the 5V rail.

Also, given the complexity of the storage IO features on the Z170 boards, including HDD Saver may have been difficult or impossible to implement too.
boons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 4:38pm
Thanks for the reply!

I also couldn't find any information about HDD Saver in the specs of the new Z170 boards, but on this Z170 Extreme6 review on Tomshardware:

They mention HDD Saver and also its special cable seems to be included in the package.
Only an early sample of the board and in the final release they decided against HDD Saver? 

Maybe I'm ordering a Z170 board, just to be sure if they dumped that tool.
I liked it a lot for my HDD with old stuff I don't need to look at very often but whanted it always available fast. 
Without HDD Saver it could be every other board... 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic