ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Z97 Extreme6 Red Light Error?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brutaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock Z97 Extreme6 Red Light Error?
    Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 4:44am
Can Someone figure out what this means? I just turned on my PC and the top two 200mm blue led fans weren't working. I then hit the reset button my my PC case and then they turned on. However, I'm still getting this red glowing light. I've never seen the power & reset button glow before, including the one above them. Has anyone seen this before?
Jonathan Jung
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 5:22am
Is the system working? The first thing I would do here is take out the cmos battery to clear cmos, unplug the power, remove it, press and hold the power button till all lights go out then leave the system for about 4 hours to be sure the CMOS is properly clear. That red light is between the BIOS chips so I suspect that it is a warning of some kind of corruption.
Brutaka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brutaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 6:00am
Oh yea, the system is working just fine. Just wondering why the lights are on.

So I should leave the CMOS battery out for 4 hours, then put it back in? I thought it clears instantly once it's pulled out?

Edit: I left it out for about 20 minutes, while doing so I also cleaned out my PC. I plugged it all back in and it's not showing the red lights anymore. Problem fixed. Thanks mate!

Edited by Brutaka - 10 Aug 2015 at 6:42am
Jonathan Jung
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 12:54pm
Glad you got it sorted Smile

I have been recommending 4 hours lately after having seen some systems retain CMOS data without the battery for anywhere up to 3 hours (most likely due to users not depressing the power button long enough) so I suggest longer to ensure it actually works rather than getting stuck in an online trouble shooting loop Wink

Welcome to the forums and enjoy your PC Cool
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 3:28pm
The red LED was not on to indicate an error. That was the BIOS Selection/identification LED.

From the Z97 Extreme6 manual:

That red LED was the BIOS_A identification LED.

Whenever the PC starts and goes through the usual POST and OS boot sequence, the currently selected BIOS (A or B) LED will light up, as well as the Power and Reset switches on the board. The Dr Debug LCD display will also be active at the same time.

Once the OS boots, the BIOS identification LED, Dr Debug display, and the Power and Reset switch LEDs will turn off.

It is strange that those LEDs remained on, if the PC booted fine after you pressed Reset. That is, if they have never been lit up after the PC boots, as you said is the case.

There is an option in the UEFI/BIOS called Good Night LED that changes the behavior of the LEDs on the PC case, and may affect the LEDs on the board as well.

Fortunately, clearing the CMOS/BIOS as you did by removing the battery seems to have fixed your problem, and those LEDs are behaving normally now.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic