ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

First time overclocking RAM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ANightInTexas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First time overclocking RAM
    Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 9:37pm
I just put together my rig last Thursday and want to begin overclocking. I figured I would start with the RAM.

I have never overclocked before and honestly, I could not find good info on how to do it. So guides, videos, etc would be helpful. 

Also how long would it approximately take to complete it?

Edited by ANightInTexas - 18 Sep 2017 at 9:38pm
maryathomes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryathomes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 5:40pm
Hii
I was see overclocking of ram. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lambouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 7:30am
Bump. I?™d like a guide too for this ram with Ryzen. I can get to 2933htz but not stable and I?™m unsure about upping the voltage?
Ryzen 1700, ASRock killer x370 motherboard with bios P3.20, G.Skill Trident Z 16GB Kit DDR4 3200MHz RAM, 750w EVGA PSU, GTX 1080ti. All drivers up to date on windows 10.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Lambouk Lambouk wrote:

Bump. I?�d like a guide too for this ram with Ryzen. I can get to 2933htz but not stable and I?�m unsure about upping the voltage?

So you did not find anything that helped you by searching on, "Ryzen memory over clocking"?

Your memory is not at all described well in PCPARTPICKER, that's a very basic and generic website for DIY PC building. I assume this is the memory you are referring to:

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-16gtzb

Take a look at the QVL list of this memory to see what I mean.

You won't find a guide that only deals with one model of memory, that's simply not how it's done. Plus there are differences between Intel and AMD systems, and then differences within the Intel and AMD systems regarding memory over clocking.

You've chosen one of the more difficult systems for memory over clocking. I realize you did not know that when you bought it, but just passing along what we have learned from experience dealing with memory and Ryzen PCs. AMD is still providing updates to the CPU microcode that is part of the UEFI/BIOS, which among other things is related to memory compatibility and over clocking. The CPU microcode is called AGESA, and you can see the various AGESA updates included in the UEFI/BIOS update's descriptions for your board. Each AGESA update has mainly improved memory over clocking potential, but some models of memory did not get any improvements. Memory over clocking for Ryzen is still being worked on by AMD and mother board manufactures. It has improved compared to the early UEFI and AGESA versions, but it probably still has room for improvement.

Any memory speed above 2667 for Ryzen processors is a memory OC, and not guaranteed. The Ryzen memory controller is part of the CPU, and just as a CPU OC is partially based upon our luck in getting a good processor, the same is true for the memory controller.

What mother board are you using, and which UEFI/BIOS version do you have installed? Usually the latest UEFI/BIOS version is the best one to use for memory over clocking.

Besides the DRAM voltage, another voltage that helps with a memory OC is the VDDCR_SOC voltage (just called SOC voltage) that is in the Voltage Configuration section of the OC Tweaker screen in the UEFI. The default SOC voltage is 0.900V, try increasing it to 1.100V to get 2933 stable. You shouldn't need more that ~1.2V for the SOC voltage, as usual the lowest voltage possible is optimal.

Are you applying the XMP profile? It may not work well for Ryzen, since it was designed for Intel systems, as you can see in the QVL list.

A simple way to OC your memory is to set the OC speed manually, set the DRAM voltage to the value in the XMP profile, which is 1.35V, set the SOC voltage to 1.1V, and then set ALL the other memory option settings to Auto. Then see if it is stable with those settings. If it is stable, you can then try to set the four basic timings to the XMP values.

Increasing DRAM voltage much above 1.35V is a matter of choice. For daily use running at 1.4V may be more than you feel safe with, but can stabilize a higher OC. If your memory has temperature sensors some programs will shown the temperature, which is usually ~30C or less. IMO if the temperature is ~40C, either you have poor ventilation around the memory, or the DRAM voltage is too high, for the non-enthusiast over clocker.

An option in the UEFI, OC Tweaker screen called AM4 Advance Boot Training (Auto = enabled) restarts the PC three times (by default), and is supposed to help with a memory OC. It does not seem to help with my G.SKILL memory, so you can experiment with disabling it to reduce the PC's startup time while testing a memory OC.

This is a decent start. Questions?

Lambouk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lambouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 1:58am
Thanks for the advise. I?™ll try a few things. My system is in my signature.    I was hoping someone else had the same memory so I had a pre done starting point.
Thanks again.
Steve
Ryzen 1700, ASRock killer x370 motherboard with bios P3.20, G.Skill Trident Z 16GB Kit DDR4 3200MHz RAM, 750w EVGA PSU, GTX 1080ti. All drivers up to date on windows 10.
Victoria Surise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victoria Surise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 4:58pm
Hi am just new on this forum and really want to know what does overclock ram do can anyone guide me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic