ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z370 k6 vdroop with 8700k

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z370 k6 vdroop with 8700k
    Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 3:33pm
I just got this board and am overclocking my 8700k, but there seems to be a ton of vdroop even with LLC set to level 1. At LLC level 1 and voltage fixed to 1.4v for 4.9ghz, the cpu drops to 1.36v under load.  If I have lower LLCs set or it set to auto, it just crashes instantly.  This is with C states, speedstep, and speedshift all turned off to make sure it wasn't them affecting it.

To test how bad the vdroop was I set the core multiplier to 37 and voltage to 1.36 with auto LLC in bios. Under load the cpu voltage dropped to 1.16v.

Is this normal or is this an issue with the bios?  I know the mid and entry range asus boards have LLC issues as well where theirs doesn't even work.  Maybe the LLC is still designed for 4 cores?

edit: fixed in bios 1.10

Edited by garm - 17 Oct 2017 at 7:11am
arcanos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 2:33am
I am experiencing the exact same thing. Vdroop of .05v to .08v is making it impossible to be safe over 4.7GHz for me. My 8700k is pulling 1.3ish at 4.7GHz, but I'm having to put 1.36-1.37v in BIOS. I'm also running extremely hot with those spikes. I sit around 80c under stress, but it spikes into the 90s. I can boot up to 5.1, but temps are insane on both a push/pull Fractal S36 and DH15. Really looking for some help from an ASRock rep about the vdroop issue.

Edited by arcanos - 17 Oct 2017 at 2:58am
garm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 7:10am
The issue is fixed now with the latest bios today.  Vcore stays steady when I leave LLC on auto.

Originally posted by arcanos arcanos wrote:

I am experiencing the exact same thing. Vdroop of .05v to .08v is making it impossible to be safe over 4.7GHz for me. My 8700k is pulling 1.3ish at 4.7GHz, but I'm having to put 1.36-1.37v in BIOS. I'm also running extremely hot with those spikes. I sit around 80c under stress, but it spikes into the 90s. I can boot up to 5.1, but temps are insane on both a push/pull Fractal S36 and DH15. Really looking for some help from an ASRock rep about the vdroop issue.

Yeah, I had to delid mine to get good temperatures.
arcanos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 8:05am
I'm waiting a bit before delidding (have done it with a hammer and vice before l, but man that was scary. Rockit88 is already here, so yeah pretty excited). I'll try the new bios.
arcanos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:02am
So I am booting to 5.0GHz at 1.38v now, but I'm getting INTENSE thermal throttling at 80c. Any idea what setting is causing this?
garm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:21am
No idea, mine is able to go into the 80s and 90s without issue.  I'd check some of the bios settings.  There were a few automatic clock/voltage management options i think that werent just thermal throttling.  my thermal throttling is still enabled with no problems.  I don't really remember touching any of that stuff besides the ones i mentioned in the OP though.  If you're still having issues i can get some screenshots of my settings if you want.  I'm pretty sure though if I had tried for 5ghz at that voltage I would have throttled before the delid, maybe the throttling is is more aggressive in bringing temps down on these new chips.  I only got into the low 90s so never found out.

Delid is simple with a rockit.  I used some conductonaut and resealed with a super thin layer of high temp gasket maker i applied with a toothpick and got at least 20C less.  It is kinda scary knowing they're sold out still so you can't just buy a new one lol.

Edited by garm - 18 Oct 2017 at 9:24am
arcanos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 11:01am
Yeah, I'll be delidding this weekend when my 1080ti gets here. I have a hunch I'll be around 50-55c at 5.0GHz when gaming. Almost never goes to 65c at 4.8GHz right now. Also, I fixed the throttle by resetting everything to default then applying my overclock again. The new BIOS has been godly for me.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by arcanos arcanos wrote:

So I am booting to 5.0GHz at 1.38v now, but I'm getting INTENSE thermal throttling at 80c. Any idea what setting is causing this?

In the UEFI/BIOS, Advanced, CPU Configuration, is the CPU Thermal Throttling option, which is enabled by default.

I'm not 100% certain what the throttling temperature is set to on the new Coffee Lake processors, but in the past with other Intel processors, it is ~100° C, normally exactly that temperature. Might have changed in Kaby Lake.

Try disabling that option as a test.

Also, in the OC Tweaker screen, CPU Configuration screen, there are several power related feature options that might need configuring/increasing. Those are:

Long Duration Power Limit

Long Duration Maintained

Short Duration Power Limit

CPU Core Current Limit

Finally, there is an option that enables or disables multiple "Performance Limit Reasons", that have existed to varying degrees in Intel processors for several generations. If you use the monitoring program HWiNFO64, they are displayed in its Sensor display screen. It also shows various Thermal Throttling and Power Limit readings. Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility (IXTU) also monitors some of these things. There are about 30 of them shown with a Kaby Lake CPU. Some are important, others just informational. One important one is VR Thermal Alert, related to the temperature of the CPU VRM stage, for example.

We have very little experience with Coffee Lake at this time, so we may be experiencing some things that were not encountered as much or at all in the past.

garm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 9:23am
Just an FYI if you're OCing: I had to manually set the BCLK to 100  for a more exact core frequency since it was running at 101 when set to auto(100) in bios.  The FCLK is also 800mhz by default and after reading into it setting it to 1ghz should increase gpu performance slightly so I'm gonna give that a try.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Also, in the OC Tweaker screen, CPU Configuration screen, there are several power related feature options that might need configuring/increasing. Those are:

Long Duration Maintained

CPU Core Current Limit

Did these generally need to be changed on kabylake?

Finally, there is an option that enables or disables multiple "Performance Limit Reasons", that have existed to varying degrees in Intel processors for several generations.

I only see the ones you mentioned above; what name did this setting have before?

Edited by garm - 19 Oct 2017 at 9:24am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by garm garm wrote:

Just an FYI if you're OCing: I had to manually set the BCLK to 100  for a more exact core frequency since it was running at 101 when set to auto(100) in bios.  The FCLK is also 800mhz by default and after reading into it setting it to 1ghz should increase gpu performance slightly so I'm gonna give that a try.

Long Duration Maintained

CPU Core Current Limit

Did these generally need to be changed on kabylake?

Finally, there is an option that enables or disables multiple "Performance Limit Reasons", that have existed to varying degrees in Intel processors for several generations.

I only see the ones you mentioned above; what name did this setting have before?

If you loaded one of the built in OC profiles, at least some of those options would be increased. But Coffee Lake with six cores is not Kaby Lake, so those options may need to be increased more than for a four core processor.

Sorry, I forgot to tell you the option name for the Performance Limit Reasons. That is Reliability Stress Restrictor.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic