ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "Hard Drive BBS Priorities" changes automatically
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Hard Drive BBS Priorities" changes automatically

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KelticNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Hard Drive BBS Priorities" changes automatically
    Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 2:34pm
Wonder if anyone can shed some light on an issue I'm having with a ASRock AB350M pro4 motherboard, and used my old SSD that had Windows 10 on it and a HDD that I keep media and some games on..

Now it usually boots up perfectly fine but about every 4 to 5 days or so I get a "Can't find Operating System, press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart" message. When I look at the boot priority list (specifically, for anyone with the same mobo, the "Hard Drive BBS Priorities" option) the SSD and HDD have swapped places, and to have to put the SSD back in at 1. When I reboot, it starts up fine and it'll keep booting fine until it happens again randomly in a few days time.

I've updated the BIOS and it still happens and I don't think it can be a driver issue as it happens in the BIOS but I'll happily be proven wrong. Only thing I can think of is the maybe the SATA cable and the order they're plugged into the mobo, but I've copied the priority the instruction manual showed and if it was a cable/connector problem surely it would happen on every boot?

It's the sporadic nature of the the issue that has me stumped
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by KelticNight KelticNight wrote:

Wonder if anyone can shed some light on an issue I'm having with a ASRock AB350M pro4 motherboard, and used my old SSD that had Windows 10 on it and a HDD that I keep media and some games on..

Now it usually boots up perfectly fine but about every 4 to 5 days or so I get a "Can't find Operating System, press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart" message. When I look at the boot priority list (specifically, for anyone with the same mobo, the "Hard Drive BBS Priorities" option) the SSD and HDD have swapped places, and to have to put the SSD back in at 1. When I reboot, it starts up fine and it'll keep booting fine until it happens again randomly in a few days time.

I've updated the BIOS and it still happens and I don't think it can be a driver issue as it happens in the BIOS but I'll happily be proven wrong. Only thing I can think of is the maybe the SATA cable and the order they're plugged into the mobo, but I've copied the priority the instruction manual showed and if it was a cable/connector problem surely it would happen on every boot?

It's the sporadic nature of the the issue that has me stumped

Sporadic problems like this can be the most difficult to diagnose.

It sounds like you used your "old SSD" that has a Windows 10 installation from another PC with a different mother board, meaning you did not install Windows 10 over again for use with the AB350M board. Is that correct?

Also, when you installed Windows 10 on the SSD, did you have any other drives in that PC operating at the same time? Such as the HDD you have with your media and games?

If you had both drives operating when you installed Windows 10 for example, the installation program will put the actual boot/system partition on the HDD rather than the SSD. The SSD has all the Windows 10 files on it, but the boot/system partition is on the other drive. So that may be what causes the confusion in the boot order.

Using a Windows installation done on another PC with a different mother board is really not recommended. It can work as you apparently have seen, but can cause some strange bugs such as the issue with the change of the boot order.

Is there anything that you do or might happen, like removing power from the PC, and after it is restored that could cause the change in boot order to happen? I assume that it is impossible to boot Windows from the HDD, or did you ever try that?

KelticNight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KelticNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 2:51am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Sporadic problems like this can be the most difficult to diagnose.

It sounds like you used your "old SSD" that has a Windows 10 installation from another PC with a different mother board, meaning you did not install Windows 10 over again for use with the AB350M board. Is that correct?

Also, when you installed Windows 10 on the SSD, did you have any other drives in that PC operating at the same time? Such as the HDD you have with your media and games?

If you had both drives operating when you installed Windows 10 for example, the installation program will put the actual boot/system partition on the HDD rather than the SSD. The SSD has all the Windows 10 files on it, but the boot/system partition is on the other drive. So that may be what causes the confusion in the boot order.

Using a Windows installation done on another PC with a different mother board is really not recommended. It can work as you apparently have seen, but can cause some strange bugs such as the issue with the change of the boot order.

Is there anything that you do or might happen, like removing power from the PC, and after it is restored that could cause the change in boot order to happen? I assume that it is impossible to boot Windows from the HDD, or did you ever try that?

Thanks for the reply. Nothing happens when I try to boot from the HDD, and when the problem occurs I haven't done anything differently, just shut the PC down normally but left it plugged into the wall socket with the switch on.

Yeah, the SSD already had Windows 10 installed. I uninstalled drivers, replaced the motherboard/CPU and just plugged my SSD in and installed the new drivers.

With hindsight it does sound like I was asking a bit much to get away with a motherboard change without a fresh Windows 10 install. Sounds like my best chance of fixing it would be to disconnect the HDD and then re-install Windows 10 to the SSD and see if that cures it.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Taddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 11:26pm
@KelticNight

I have exactly the same issue with the same motherboard.
If u have found a conclusion i`d be very glad u could share it.

Thanks in advance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic