ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gaming Zone > Gaming PC Build Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AsRock Extreme7+ pci-e

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaigen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AsRock Extreme7+ pci-e
    Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 10:31pm
This is the PCI-E lane break out for the board:

- 4 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slots (PCIE2/PCIE4/PCIE6: single at x16 (PCIE2); dual at x8 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE4); triple at x8 (PCIE2) / x4 (PCIE4) / x4 (PCIE6). PCIE3: x4 mode)
- 1 x PCI Express 3.0 x1 Slot (PCIE5) (Flexible PCIe)
- 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 Slot (PCIE1)
- 1 x Half-size Mini-PCI Express Slot

I have read that the Intel 6700k has 16 pci-e lanes with 4 reserved for storage(source on tom'shardware) I want to sli gpu's then have an NVM-E storage device. sli requires that you have x8/x8 set aside for it to work. then another x4 are needed for the storage making 20, x16 gpu and 4 nvm-e. The question is do AsRock boards support this? I see on the MSI boars that they list it simply as x8/x8/x4 which is misleading as people will think they would be able to use three gpu in CF and get that bandwidth which is actually x8/x4/x4. 
Back on topic; the part that makes it unclear is here " PCIE3: x4 mode) " this is listed at the very end by itself, would this be the slot for x4 storage to be unaffected by sli gpu/ x16 single.

I have this same question posted here, it might help explain what I need if you take a look:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2754331/asrock-z170-pcie-lanes.html
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 1:47am
The PCIe 3.0 lane specs for the ASRock Extreme7+ look correct to me, due to a new feature of the Z170 chipset.

For the first time the Z170 chipset provides up to 20 PCIe 3.0 lanes. So the PCIE3 slot can provide four PCIe 3.0 lanes independently of the CPU:

http://ark.intel.com/products/90591/Intel-GL82Z170-PCH

This new feature of the Z170 chipset is a significant change, and I'm surprised it is not as well known as it should be IMO.

But I will say that the specs do not make that clear, so I understand why you are asking about this.
kaigen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaigen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 2:36am
Sounds good it was a real head scratchier over a tom'sHW, I just received my board and was hoping that was the case. 

Can I assume that "PCIE3" is the third full slot down?

Thanks for the info
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 11:02am
No, the slot count starts with the first PCIe slot, PCIE1, which is a PCIe 2.0 x1 slot:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic