ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Build Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen RAM OC issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LegacyCore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryzen RAM OC issue
    Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 7:46am
Hello, so I feel I'm having an issue that I should not be having with a new rig I built a few days ago.  I'm not new to OCing a PC but I am new to Ryzen setups.  Specs of build are in my sig, so here's the issue.  I currently have my Rzyen  1200 overclocked to 4.0GHz stable with idle temps at 38C and Prime95 temps at 51C.  Well below the temp threshold from my understanding (thank you Corsair H60).  I'm unable to get to 4.1 without instant failure, but I hear most can't so I'm very happy at 4.0GHz.

The issue I'm having as the subject states is my memory speeds.  I'm running Patriot Viper DDR4 3200 dual channel memory.  Memory that is on ASRock's QVL for my motherboard.  I cannot for the life of me get my RAM speeds to 3200MHz.  Sometimes I can get it to boot at 3200, even go into Windows at 3200.  But upon running any stress testing it fails within minutes, in fact I have trouble even running at 3066MHz with testing sometimes lasting up to 10 min before crashing.  I am stable at 2933MHz with running Memtest to 200%.  

I do have the latest BIOS version, all the latest driver versions, up to date on Windows 10 Pro x64 and everything else I can think of.  I feel I should be able to run my memory at the advertised 3200MHz, especially for memory that's on the mobo's QVL!  

RAM settings @ 2933, 1.35v, 16-16-16-36

I've noticed some people have to mess with the SOC voltage to get to 3200MHz, but I do not have this option in my BIOS.  The only way I can access SOC voltage is through Ryzen Master but that does not seem very stable.  I can't think of anything else I'm missing you all would need to know, so I hope somebody can give me any kind of news at all on this issue.  

Maybe I should just be happy with the 2933 speeds, maybe the Patriot Viper RAM is junk and I should get Corsair LPX 3200, or some GSKill Trident 3200.  (Wouldn't mind upgrading to 16GB, but man is DDR4 expensive as all hell right now...) anyways.  Thanks for reading through all of this....
MOBO: ASRock AB350M Promontory
CPU: Ryzen 1200 @ 4.0GHz
RAM: 8GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200 @ 2933MHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060
PSU: EVGA 450W
M.2: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB
Cooler: Corsair H60 AIO
Zschmitt95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zschmitt95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 5:13pm
Can you add voltage to the ram?
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by LegacyCore LegacyCore wrote:

I do have the latest BIOS version, all the latest driver versions, up to date on Windows 10 Pro x64 and everything else I can think of.  I feel I should be able to run my memory at the advertised 3200MHz, especially for memory that's on the mobo's QVL!

The problem with that speed of 3200 MHz is that it's an overclock and as it's stated in the memory QVL:

"Note3: The O.C. mode is not guaranteed. It depends on whole system configuration and other parameters."

So, it's always a bit of a gamble, unfortunately. Apart from the SOC voltage you mentioned, the reason you're not reaching 3200 MHz may, for example, be because of the RAM modules themselves being of lower quality or because of the overclock you have on the CPU. Pushing the system towards it limits can sometimes become a balancing act, where you may need to dial some parameters down in order to increase others. You could try setting your CPU to 3.9 GHz or 3.8 GHz and see if that helps with the memory speed.

There's also a program that you can use to find better settings for your RAM modules (http://www.overclock.net/t/1640919/ryzen-dram-calculator-overclocking-dram). That could be worth a try. I've no personal experience on using it, but hopefully some of the more knowledgeable members chime in. If not, you can search the forum for RAM speed related threads and you should find some discussion on using the program.

Edited by PetrolHead - 22 Dec 2017 at 6:11pm
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Wingback18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wingback18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 12:29pm
Something similar happened to me.

I did some digging.
I recommend.trying in dram timing , all of the wsy at the bottom. Is a setting called
PROCDT try changing it.
The 4 sticks i have boot @3400mhz but only 48ohms (haven't try any lower)
Try that

Saved your profile. You might have to reset the bios by clearing the cmos
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic