ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gaming Zone > Gaming PC Build Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need a MotherBoard for AMD R9-290X 8gig o

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreadknott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a MotherBoard for AMD R9-290X 8gig o
    Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 3:44am
I have a Asustek M3A32-MVP Deluxe currently and bought the AMD R9-290X it appears card will not work with this motherboard and Tech guy at XFX who manufactures and tests these cards. He reccomened you folks to replace my motherboard.
What motherboard would you folks recommend that will support my new R9-290x, also it would be nice to be able to keep my current processor if possible it is an AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition, Socket AM2+ {940}, the memory I have now is DDR2 8GBytes.

Im looking to upgrade to 16gigs with the ram when I can afford too,also I just purchased a Ultra X4 850w power supply. Any suggestion from you folks would really help im not a very tech senior. Sigh still gotta tell the wife too.

As a last resort what Asrock MB and Processer combo would be recommended for me.

Thanks everyone Ahead of Time
Edwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 6:30pm
Your CPU and RAM are both very very old, there isn't a motherboard on the market can support your component, sorry ....
TryHardTex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TryHardTex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 3:34am

I've got good news and bad news.

Bad news: You're going to find it's more reasonable to purchase a new mobo/processor combo and ddr3 memory

Good news: It's not going to be as expensive as you might think.

I recently purchased a new case/ fata1lty 970 mobo/ FX 8320 blk edt processor (8-core)/ Corsair case / evga psu - 600w bronze all together for 310$ (usd) out the door. I took 2x 8gb pc 12800 1600mhz ram, a gtx 750ti 2gb gddr5 gpu, and HDD's from a a10-6700 build I had. I added a new cooler and got creative with fan options and have it stable at 4.5 ghz CPU frequency, 2000 NB/2200 HT and I'm pretty impressed with the frames I'm getting in some pretty intense gaming.

Memory is pretty cheap compared to what it has been in the past. Your cost is going to be determined on your need for storage and OS. Send me a PM and I'll let you know where I purchased my parts. I don't work for the store so, I don't feel like it's my place to advertise openly for them but, it's a national chain that price compares/matches newegg/tiger direct 3 times a week. I prefer to purchase from a location I can quickly exchange/return without the shipping aspect.

If you're sticking with AMD I'd research AM3+ mobo's and processors. FX 8320's up to FX 9590's with a am3+ mobo is what I'd suggest looking at.

I'm not an expert but, I do game quite a bit and built my first rig in 1997. I learn a little bit more everyday, honestly.

I'm about to rebuild around this APU I have sitting unused to see what it can do with decent components. I'll either sell it to a friend when I'm done or let my wife (non-gamer) use it to work from home when she needs. She's attached to a tablet otherwise.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic