ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overclocking Asrock G41C-GS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCM713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overclocking Asrock G41C-GS
    Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 11:20am
RAM Compatibility with 4GB sticks

CPU: Q9550

MB: G41C-GS

Cooler: Zalman Performa

Graphic: GT 610

I purchased this MB from Newegg several months ago, and have had no issues running it with DDR2-400MHz. The FSB has been running stock at 1333MHz since installed, with a BCLK 333MHz.  I purchased this board to replace an old Asus P5GZ. So I needed the ability to drop in existing components and have a running computer. Namely CPU and DDR2, now I am trying to get the 1333MHz(OC) ram running, because I am trying to max out the ram to increase performance for kids games (Minecraft and the like). 

I am running the beta Bios 1.40C that I flashed from the Asrock site, allegedly to increase DRAM compatibility. I have moved the jumper to the 1333MHz side, and it will boot with DDR2 fine, at stock speed and OC(BCLK 340 FSB 1360). However when I install any DDR3 stick I get the black screen issue with fans etc. And before anybody starts posting about QVL, Asrock does not have any 4GB DDR3-1333MHz modules listed on the QVL for this board. 

Ram stick I have tried:

Pacific Sun  x51642133P

Patriot   PSD38G1333KH

Corsair XMS3  CMX8GX3M2A1333C9

I have also tried raising the PCI clock from 100 MHz up 108 and still nothing has worked. Not sure what the upper level of safety for the PCI clock is, and I would prefer not to have to OC the PCI clock if possible.

So what is the process for getting OC ram to run in general, I assume it is something like:

1: OC computer BCLK or Multiplier (achieve a stable point and test)

2: shut down and install OC ram

3: boot into BIOS and adjust ram clock setting if necessary

4: load OS and test again

Am I at all close on this, I know that people say you should flash CMOS, but then it removes all BIOS setting and then you have to start over again.

Please help

thanks

MCM713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCM713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 11:21am
sorry for long post
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 1:18pm
Welcome to the forums.

I need to clarify here, are you trying to install DDR3 and DDR2 RAM on the same board? Your post makes it seem that way, if so, that is why you are getting a black screen. You cannot install DDR3 and DDR2 on the same system. 

If you are not using both DDR2 and DDR3 then it may be that your RAM modules are not supported. Do the DDR3 modules boot if you do not set the jumper to 1333?
MCM713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCM713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 12:05pm
No, Using DDR2 to boot to BIOS and adjust settings.  Then remove DDR2, and install DDR3.  With DDR3  installed  it will not boot with jumper in either setting.  The CPU  fan  comes  on and hard drive spins up but then it will not boot. And I get the black screen  issue.
Sometimes it resets itself like it is registering the ram but it never finishes  the POST/boot.

The XMS3  ram is supposedly  compatible with  G41 chipset.  But maybe  not I really  don't  know  at this  point.

Thanks

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 1:23pm
Ok great, I had to be sure you were not trying to run both types at the same time. Have you tried simply installing the DDR3 RAM then clearing CMOS? You say you are inputting manual settings using the DDR2 then installing the DDR3, this could be part of what is causing the problem. 

Manually inputting the settings prior to installing the RAM is not advisable, it can make the system try to initialize the DDR2 slots rather than the DDR3 ones. It is usually best to clear CMOS (I prefer the battery removal method) when ever you install new RAM as it forces the board to redetect the RAMs settings and voltage. DDR2 and DDR3 use different voltage so if the board is retaining voltage settings it would explain why the DDR3 won't post.

Good luck.
MCM713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCM713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 11:37pm
Hello,

Ok, I tried flashing the CMOS with the DDR3 , as you suggested and still get the black screen issue.

I tried it with the jumper in both positions., and nothing worked.
tried both sticks in both slots.

Is it possible for the DDR3 side of the memory controller to be bad but the DDR2 side to work?

Question, How does the board recognizes the OC ram, if it requires the CPU to be overclocked to run ram at that speed.  When you flash the CMOS all setting go back to stock speed , how can it load into the bios if it cannot operate the ram?

thanks for all your help..

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 12:51am
I did a little research and it seems that your board is very picky about what DDR3 RAM it supports. There is a thread on the Tweaktown sponsored ASRock forum about this same issue. You should find all the info you need there.

Hopefully this helps resolve your problem.
MCM713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCM713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 12:27am
Hey Thank for the help... I did finally get it running with the Ballistix sport  1600MHz

Crazy compatibility issues.

thanks for  
Feldunost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feldunost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 4:46am
I can't really hope to see 1.5 bios with more memory compatibility ...

Kingston HyperX 2x4Gb 1333 Mhz CL9

Nothing works, even after switching FSB1 plastic thing set.
I have currently Q8200@1329.73 Rated FSB, as default value.

Maybe it's an option that i missed ?
Or it's really compatibility issue ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic