ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - UEFI non UEFI hard drives in system CHKDSK problem
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFI non UEFI hard drives in system CHKDSK problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tech549 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UEFI non UEFI hard drives in system CHKDSK problem
    Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 11:18am
Motherboard does NOT matter but I will list it anyway.
Z97X Killer

Here is My question.

I install Windows 7 without using the UEFI setting on one hard drive.
Only drive connected at this time.

I installed Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 with the UEFI settings on on one hard drive.

With the system off I connect the second hard drive.
So that I can use the F11 on boot to select what operating system hard drive I want to boot to.

The first time the system boots I let it boot without using the F11 at boot time.
It boots to the Windows 8.1 or 10 drive by default.
I restart the system and use the F11 to boot to the Windows 7 hard drive.
All is fine.
I restart the system and use the F11 to boot to the Windows 8.1 or 10 hard drive.
Or I let the system boot without using the F1.
All is fine.

I wanted the system to boot to Windows 7 by default so I go in to the BIOS and change
the order of the drives in the boot sequence.

Now when or if I use the F11 to select what drive to boot from I get CHKDSK when Windows boots.
If I unplug the Windows 7 drive the system boots to Windows 8.1 or 10 with NO CHKDSK.
If I plug the Windows 7 hard drive back in I get CHKDSK what ever hard drive i select to boot from.

Does anyone know why this happens or how I can fix this?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 3:01pm
Do you let the CHKDSK run on the Windows 7 drive?

If you do, then you still get the CHKDSK every time the PC starts with the Windows 7 drive in the PC, is that correct?

The Windows 7 drive may by having problems, and starting to go bad. Did you ever check the SMART data for that drive?

If you have the ASRock APP Shop program installed, you can download the free Disk Health Report program, and check the Windows 7 drive.

I'm not sure what you mean by using the UEFI setting on one hard drive, and not on the other hard drive. Does doing that give you an entry for the Windows 8.1/10 drive in the boot order as "Windows Boot Manager"?

Did the Windows 7 and Windows 8.1/10 installations have different BIOS settings when you installed each version of Windows? It sounds like it does, and that might cause the CHKDSK to run. But it is impossible to tell if we don't know what the UEFI settings on and off means.

Tech549 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tech549 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 12:52am
Nether drive is having problems. I have let the CHKDSK run every time.

First off W7 was never setup with the UEFI settings on.
The system boots fine 100% of the time.

With W7 drive being the only drive in the system.
W7 drive has booted for a long time with NO problems.

I changed the BIOS setting to UEFI on or enabled.
The BIOS setting are not clear on turning on UEFI or enabling it.
So to explain on or enabled I select the UEFI option in the BIOS and let the system reboot if I remember
correctly.

With the W7 drive as the only drive in the system I go into the BIOS and change the boot order for
the DVD drive to be first and the W7 drive second.
The system boots fine no CHKDSK.

With the system off I disconnect the W7 drive and connect the W10 drive for the initial install of W10.
After W10 is installed and setup the way i want. i connect the W7 drive so that both the W7 drive and
W10 drive are connected. Done while the system is off of course.

The first time booting the system usualy boots to W10.
At this point I can use the F11 BOOT option and select the W7 or W10 drives with NO CHKDSK.
It will boot from either drive with no CHKDSK.

Since i dont want it to boot to W10 as default I go into the BIOS and change the BOOT order to the
W7 drive.
This is when the CHKDSK problem starts.
After i make that change the system does CHKDSK every time i use the F11 to change booting to the 
W7 drive or the W10 drive.
If I let it boot to W7 not using the F11 option and let it do the CHKDSK once it will boot to W7 not using the F11 option 100% with no CHKDSK until I use the F11 option to boot to W10. Then CHKDSK comes up. If I boot to W10 using the F11 option over and over no CHKDSK. If I let it boot to W7 not using the 
F11 option I get the CHKDSK once and then its fine from there not using the F11 option.

Doing this several times usually makes the W10 drive un bootable. W10 startup appears and says W10
had a problem starting and i can never get it to boot properly again.

Does any of that make sense to You?

Edited by Tech549 - 10 Sep 2015 at 1:20am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 1:37am
Sorry, but again I must ask my previous question. To quote:

Originally posted by Tech549 Tech549 wrote:

Motherboard does NOT matter but I will list it anyway.
Z97X Killer

Here is My question.

I install Windows 7 without using the UEFI setting on one hard drive.

I installed Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 with the UEFI settings on on one hard drive.

I need to know what without using the UEFI setting, and with the UEFI settings on, means.

If it's what I think it is, then the Win 10 installation is GPT formatted (by Windows), but also contains an MBR partition, that Windows puts on EFI booting installations by default.

The Win 7 installation is only MBR formatted, which is the default, and does not use the EFI boot loader.

Assuming this is correct, combine two or more OS drives with different formatting and using different boot loaders, seems to confuse Windows and cause CHKDSK to run.

As you saw, anytime after booting from the Win 10 disk and then changing to the Win 7 disk, Windows is expecting to use the EFI boot loader. When that is not configured on the Win 7 disk, Windows assumes their is a corruption on that disk, and runs CHKDSK.

The settings in the UEFI may also be the cause of CHKDSK being run.

IF I am right, you may not be able to do anything about that. It may be a limitation of Windows. We need more information about the way the two disks are configured for booting, with and without the UEFI settings.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic