ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't Overclock - X370 Taichi and Ryzen 1600x

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yedd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't Overclock - X370 Taichi and Ryzen 1600x
    Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 4:32am
Hello everyone, first time overclocker and I've ran into some snags that I don't understand. First let me detail the system I'm working with.

MB - X370 Taichi
CPU - Ryzen 5 1600X
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHZ

Let me know if there is anymore information you would like.

So now for the history. I started this around the time I purchased this system back in August. I followed the video https://youtu.be/52Tw-wcT7o4 and got up to a 3700 mhz overclock on the CPU and a 3033 mhz clock on my RAM. I used just the first half of the video settings where I used the Manual CPU freq and voltage settings on the OC tweaker page of the BIOS and did not do any kind of Pstate overclock.

Fast Forward to now and life has been hectic and I didn't find the time to go further until now. So I started by updating my BIOS to the 3.2 version, double checking I have the latest Ryzen Chipset drivers at 17.20 and I procede to start by trying to Pstate OC.

The basics of my current issue as it stands is that no matter what settings I change in the BIOS I can never get the settings to stick. Either I cannot boot without resetting to UEFI defaults or I have to reset the CMOS completely to get it to boot back but no matter what I'm still unable to change any setting without making the system unbootable. I'm getting conflicting information from all the things that tell me my clock speed as well. Windows and the BIOS will say I'm at 3600. Ryzen Master software and CPU-Z will say 3700. My voltage no matter the setting is right around 1.4 in CPU-Z and Ryzen master software as well.

If I OC in Ryzen Master software, I can get a clock speed of 4 ghz to stick, but it disables 3 of my cores apparently. But no matter what clock speed, or voltage I select in Ryzen Master I cannot get all of my cores. Even an OC of 3750, one tick above whats its currently running gives me only 3 cores enabled.

There is only one way I can change the settings and that is if I follow the settings in this video https://youtu.be/jIPIbl81x-Q I can replicate the multiplier bug but then later in the video if I follow his work around I get the same old unable to boot issue and a CMOS jumper fixes the issue.

It seems to me that something, maybe software in Windows is overwriting my BIOS settings, but I'm not sure if that's even possible. To make sure I didn't have anything I know of messing with it, I uninstalled all my cpu related software, CPU-Z, Ryzen Master Software and Core Temp. I do still have MSI Afterburner installed but thats a long shot.

To summarize, I have no idea how a CMOS jumper reset allows me to still have a 3700 OC, or if thats even right due to the conflicting info given to me by Windows and my other various sources, but it seems that I cannot modify my BIOS, and no matter what I use, the OC Tweaker tab in the BIOS, the Pstate settings in the BIOS or Ryzen Master software I cannot get an overclock that sticks.

I've considering wiping Windows out and starting from scratch but because the BIOS is affected I don't think that has much chance of working.

kenobi_1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenobi_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 6:19am
if yor last bios update thath you say have done is AGESA 1.0.7 you are not the only one who had this problem.
im have same cpu just board is diff label but x370 also
from 4 days googling for problems after last AGESA update
and now after read your post now im sure..
So did you remember before at old bios what was yor voltage on (VCORE SOC) even on auto setting if you member it compare it to same but with updated bios tell me if you see difference.
my case before update this soc voltage i was setting it at 1.1 manual/auto was same 1.1/ in to bios all run perfect oc at 3.9 even 4ghz but become hot for me with air cooler dark rock3 pro so 3.9ghz 1.32v vcore and soc 1.1 ram at1.35 3200mhz xmp....
so bofre 4 days just updated bios and have decided after to play around voltages if i could lower them a bit more and every test i have done after changes has finished with FREEZ after start of any type stress tests.
so i start compare voltages i set to my old settings and mention when SOC Voltage is at Auto (new update bios) is sitt at 2.212v-2.224v and even run boot testing all fine but this is too high soc voltage for air solution
so any trying to lower around 1.1 like bofre give it no stable sys. and some how i could achive SOC voltage low to 1.125v stable sys just save it and now still trying to make them better...
At last im think agesa bios 1.0.7 is bringing new voltage bugs.

Edited by kenobi_1 - 25 Dec 2017 at 6:29am
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 8:00pm
AFAIK there is no AGESA 1007 for the Taichi yet. P3.20a is on 1006b only. Only the APU mobos have 1007 now.

As you can see in my sig I have pretty similar rig to yours. My P-states OC works well (although I have other issues with the mobo).

My suggestion, try P3.20a with DOS re-flash. Clear CMOS. Go through all videos, manuals and posts again, then try P-states.

If I recall correctly, if you tweak a certain option for voltage (I think)  it was resetting the OC settings.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
kenobi_1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenobi_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 11:24pm
already trying lot of guide's and always is same bord is gigabyte ax370 gaming 5
so to confirmed that i mention had revert to old version bios f9a with agesa 1.0.6 and just load optimised defaults and realy vcore soc voltage is idle btw 0.88-0.98 which is even lower of default 1.1 then flashed new one f10 agesa 1.0.7 and voltage by default idle at 2.12-2.24v
well i dont know but for me visually this is big difference.
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 11:40pm
OK, forgive me but I'm having some troubles understanding you.

First, you're talking about Gigabyte? Well, we're hating ASRock here. I see Gigabyte have their own share of hatred in their own forums.

Second, these are CRAZY voltages! SOC should be 1.05V @ auto. It is recommended to bump it to 1.1V for better stability. I wonder how it's not fried with 2V yet?!?! I remember Giga fried a few Ryzens with their F5 UEFI version. Same ol' again?
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic