ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

graphics card memory issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: graphics card memory issue
    Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 1:06am
talked with nvidia about an error I had with a memory issue, they suggested I update my bios for z77 extreme 4, there has not been an update for windows 10 as of  yet.

Was wondering could this be the issue?

the error message said:

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered:
Display driver NVIDIA windows kernel
mode driver, version 355.60 stopped
responding and has successfully recovered.

thank you
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 3:20am
Nvidia has a nasty habit of passing the blame onto the motherboard with this issue when the truth is there are literally thousands of people experiencing these problems with their drivers. I am speaking from experience here having has the same problem for myself. Even now I find certain driver revisions cause the problem to return. I am guessing you have a GPU with "Boost" technology? The problem arises from the way the drivers dynamically adjust the voltage to facilitate the boost clock. 

I mostly resolved my problems with my GTX 960 by cleaning out my drivers with DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and trying each revision that supported my GPU till I found one that was stable. The problem is that sometimes the fault is with the GPU not being stable at the boost clock with the voltage set in the VBIOS and drivers. Based on your post however I am guessing your system did not have these problems until you upgraded to windows 10 which means it is almost certainly a driver issue from Nvidia with your particular configuration. 

One thing you can try to rule out the possibility that Nvidia are right about needing a BIOS update is to use MSI afterburner and set the "Power Limit" to about 70% and see if the card runs stable. If it is stable then all you likely need to do is wait until Nvidia release a more stable driver, you can run the card at the lower power limit till then without any risk, in fact, the GPU should run cooler and quieter. You will lose a few FPS here and there but not more than 4-5%.

If the GPU is still unstable with the lower power limit however it may be a compatibility issue with windows 10 and your setup. The problem is that there are a lot of things that can cause this particular problem, TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) is the name of the problem if you want to google it for more info. 

Just an FYI, don't bother with the TDR tools that you will find, they do not solve the problem, they only change its behavior and can cause damage to your file system if they cause lockups and BSODs.

I know this is not likely the answer you were looking for but I hope it helps none the less.

Good luck
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 8:55am
I agree with Xaltar, and have seen that error occasionally myself.

I have seen the same general error message when using the Intel integrated graphics, so it is not just confined to Nvidia.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 2:49pm
Now that you mention it I did get a few TDRs with my N3150M setup on the iGPU. It may well be a MS problem, or at least it could be in come cases.
Joe-912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joe-912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 4:46pm
I have a MSI H81m E33 with G3258 and a Nvidia GTX 660 with windows 10 the G3258 is overclocked to 4.2GHz and I had been overclocking the GTX 660 with afterburner and benching with Heaven I got a driver not responding, after that my GTX 660 got stuck at 450MHz and nothing I could do would move it, I thought I had toasted the card, but I reflashed the cards bios and it was back to normal...

But running the card at stock I have zero problem with drivers
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 5:03pm
Yes, the error can occur with an unstable GPU OC too, like I said it is caused by a very broad number of issues. I wish Microsoft wouldn't simplify the error reporting so much, I much prefer specific error codes that need to be looked up over these new (since win 7) more blanket errors. Even apps like bluescreenview don't pick up any additional data on problems like this, in fact because it does not cause a BSOD these apps find nothing at all. Give me BSODs with specific codes any day. 

Fault finding has become a major headache over the last 10 years or so given the ever increasing complexity of the hardware and MS propensity to dumb things down for the end user. 

Sorry about the rant but I have had a ton of issues with TDRs myself, to the point I RMAd my GPU 3 times, changed motherboards, RAM, PSU and flashed to every possible VBIOS in combination with every driver since the release of my GPU. Eventually I went nuts and performed a "clean slate" installation of all my parts and software and have been mostly error free since. I still am not certain what fixed the issue and I have been in this business since the 90s..... It may be the driver I installed along with the fresh install as it was released around the same time. Even now however, some particular games still give me random TDRs, yes, even the games themselves can cause this issue.

This is such a well known problem there are literally hundreds of articles, threads and forum posts about it, all with different advice and potential "fixes". Part of my problem turned out to be a particular game I used to play a lot, a patch was released for it and the TDRs stopped. 

I think the most annoying thing about this error is the fact that it could be a hardware fault. If it was a given that it was only caused by software or drivers it would simply be a case of finding the right driver/software combination to get your system stable but knowing it could be an indicator of a bad GPU makes you constantly stress until you can resolve it. Fortunately, the likelihood of it being a bad GPU is remote and easy to ascertain. If underclocking/volting the GPU resolves it, the factory OC and or Boost of the card is not stable and the GPU should be RMAd. I wish I had learned this little tidbit before 3 RMAs and weeks of frustration.

Joe-912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joe-912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 6:45pm
I used to have the GTX 660 on my Asrock Z77 extreme 6 and windows 7 and had zero problems overclocking it way behond what I had it when it corrupted the bios on MSI & windows 10 setup, maybe windows 10 in early stages and young windows 10 graphics drivers, because I know the GPU is sound,
time will tell I suppose hey...
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 6:58pm
It's quite possible. That's exactly the problem with this error, it is just so broad of a term. It is one of the reasons I will be giving windows 10 a miss until there are enough titles on DX 12 to warrant the "upgrade".
imbeat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 4:45am
this is better than nvidia passing the problem onto asrock, true it could be a bios error and could help if it was ruled out, but once/if it is, I will be getting on their case like no other.  I'll set my afterburner to 70%, thank you for the time you took out to answer my question.  Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic