ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boot looping x370 taichi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sealancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boot looping x370 taichi
    Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 3:46pm
Hi,

I recently RMA'ed my RAM  (f4-3000c15d-16gtzb) and got a new kit.  One of the stick failed in the earlier kit hence had to return it.  The old kit ran fine with agesa update, was  able to hit 2933 by loosening the timings to 18. 

The new kit only  runs at 2666 but not more than that. I tried to loosen the timings but the system ended up boot looping.  It terminates with  3E and starts all over again.  Any Idea whats going on?

My system spec

Ryzen 1700
  x370 taichi
  RAM : 16GB (f4-3000c15d-16gtzb).

I know RAM is not on QVL but GSkill said they tested the RAM and it works.  They wont even exchange for compatible ram or give a refund. Given the  sky high RAM prices, I have postponed buying a QVL kit.

Any idea what is going wrong.

Edited by sealancer - 28 Dec 2017 at 3:48pm
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 10:31pm
One thing here - RAM being on QVL doesn't guarantee that it will run @ XMP settings AT ALL. All it means is that it will run. Many people take this for granted.

Everything around 3200MHz for RAM speeds is dependent on the CPU and RAM itself. Mobo comes to play with higher speeds, because PCB traces should be designed better for these speeds, say 4000MHz.

Things to try - latest UEFI, clear CMOS, try XMP only, i.e. no CPU OC. Bump the voltages a bit. There are good videos on RAM OC, look for ones targeting Ryzens. Try playing with memory training ON/OFF.

What I did - I googled around to see what other Ryzen users are running well, checked that it's in the QVL, bought it. I knew there was a chance where I couldn't get the advertised speeds and took it. I was lucky enough to run 3200MHz CL14 with a click of a button.

Also, you could just run 2133MHz and wait till AGESA matures.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic