ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intel release 5x5 form factor motherboards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intel release 5x5 form factor motherboards
    Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 9:34pm
Intel have recently released a new standard in socketed micro motherboards. I for one can't wait to see what ASRock comes out with on these lines. We have all seen the Beebox and ASRock's ITX 2011 platforms so who better to do it better than intel right Wink

A Z97 board like this paired with a Broadwell CPU would be really interesting to see given Broadwells phenominal IGP performance. Come on ASRock, give us something to talk about Cool
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 1:10am
Nice find Xaltar, very interesting. Thumbs Up

My question is, given it will eventually accept i3 - i7 processors, where's the chipset? Confused

I know this prototype is for SOC processors, so no chipset. I agree it will be nice with the relatively lower TDP processors, and the Broadwell-type iGPU would make it a good platform, except for hard core gamers of course. The video outputs will be a challenge to fit on a board like this, but I could see multiple DisplayPort and/or HDMI, which would be appropriate for a new design.

Being an American, where "bigger is always better" is part of our culture (but not true), I've never had anything less than an ATX sized board, or one of the 90% ATX sized boards, like the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (my first ASRock board, still have two working fine.) I will admit to never quite understanding the ITX and mITX form factors, while in other parts of the world, the need for ATX is questioned or rejected.

IMO, new form factors and configurations for mother boards must be explored, if only to allow changes in the size and shape of PC cases.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic