ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

no display after installing 8gbx1 on G41M vs3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaggu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: no display after installing 8gbx1 on G41M vs3
    Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 9:11pm
I have a g41m-vs3 motherboard, i recently got a gskill f3-10666cl9s-8gbxl ram but no display comes on the moniter ,the fans are running,i even set dram timings voltage using the older rams in the bios.

please help.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 10:12pm
You can try clearing CMOS as described here. If that does not work then it is likely that the RAM is not compatible with the board. These older boards often don't work with newer RAM given the broad spectrum of specs for DDR3. There was a time when a memory standard actually meant something but DDR3 in particular has evolved well beyond its original specs due to its long run as the "standard".

It is unfortunate but most older boards with "DDR3 support" only work with a smattering of RAM models, most of which are older.
jaggu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaggu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 12:14am
it is a 1333 mhz ram and g41m-vs3 supports 1333 mhz rams and a max capacity of 8 gb
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 1:17am
Sadly it isn't that simple, there are a number of other considerations to take into account. There are different density memory chips, dual and single sided RAM, voltage differences, latency differences etc. The fact that 1333 mhz DDR3 is "supported" means that the board supported RAM of that spec at the time of release, and even then there would have been certain RAM the board would not have supported.

This is an issue we see all too often here on the forums. Back in the day supporting DDR 400 meant pretty much any RAM that was rated at that speed would work, today there is far more variation even within the same standard. It is very unfortunate and often misleading. Take a look at the supported RAM list for your board and if possible try to get your hands on RAM that is listed. Alternatively you can go to the RAM manufacturers site and look for RAM that lists your board as supported. I wish I could tell you that there is an easy fix to make the RAM you already purchased work but unfortunately that is simply not the case. It isn't even a vendor or manufacturer specific problem, this problem will be present across all boards with your chipset from all vendors and is purely due to the nature of DDR3 and its inherent variations.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Unhappy
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 1:26am
Originally posted by jaggu jaggu wrote:

I have a g41m-vs3 motherboard, i recently got a gskill f3-10666cl9s-8gbxl ram but no display comes on the moniter ,the fans are running,i even set dram timings voltage using the older rams in the bios.

please help.

It looks like your new G.SKILL memory is a single 8GB DIMM, is that right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231485

If that is correct, I doubt that the memory controller in your board is compatible with a single 8GB DIMM. Memory of that size in one stick did not exist when your board was designed.

What BIOS version do you have in your board? A newer version might improve the memory compatibility.

Try using that memory in the B1 slot, clear the BIOS as Xaltar said, and use ALL Auto settings for the memory.

jaggu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaggu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

It looks like your new G.SKILL memory is a single 8GB DIMM, is that right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231485

If that is correct, I doubt that the memory controller in your board is compatible with a single 8GB DIMM. Memory of that size in one stick did not exist when your board was designed.

What BIOS version do you have in your board? A newer version might improve the memory compatibility.

Try using that memory in the B1 slot, clear the BIOS as Xaltar said, and use ALL Auto settings for the memory.

yea thats the one.I running the latest version of bios(1.80).I will try clearing the bios and using the ram on the b1 slot tonight.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic