ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Firmware Updates for Spectre and Meltdown Vulnerab
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Firmware Updates for Spectre and Meltdown Vulnerab

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don.Donch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Firmware Updates for Spectre and Meltdown Vulnerab
    Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 9:53am
Hello,

Hearing of new massive security flaws like Spectre and Meltdown, I was wondering if there would be any upcoming firmware updates to combat the new threat. Spectre and Meltdown take advantage of the normal ways that Intel, ARM, and AMD processors work. The exploits take advantage of a flaw in how the data is dumped that could allow them with the right malware installed to read data that should be secret. Please notify me of new updates that come out for the ASRock Fatal1ty 970 Performance GAMING Motherboard for AMD FX Series Processors. I would like to protect myself and others as soon as possible! 

Thanks! 

Spectre and Meltdown:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/explained-apos-meltdown-apos-apos-024151789.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

Edited by Don.Donch - 05 Jan 2018 at 9:54am
Krautmaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krautmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 2:48pm
dont expect an answer of ASROCK here. Seems like they died all  between Intels ME bug and new year. Its the worst forum (from 90s i guess) together with the worst support and good hardware, which is almost worthless without good support.
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Don.Donch Don.Donch wrote:

I was wondering if there would be any upcoming firmware updates to combat the new threat. Spectre and Meltdown take advantage of the normal ways that Intel, ARM, and AMD processors work.

There are three different vulnerabilities (four according to ARM) and not all of them affect all CPUs from all manufacturers. Meltdown, for example, hasn't yet been shown to affect AMD CPUs. As far as I know, AMD has not released any microcode updates yet for either of the Spectre variants, so it's impossible to say if and when such updates will be available through motherboard manufacturers.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 6:24pm
Unfortunately for us, while AMD is partially affected by just 1 of these vulnerabilities, M$ screwed us big time.

I'm not sure what exactly M$ pushed to AMD users but I'm taking measurable hits in performance. Fun thing is that the patch for AMD's only vulnerability shouldn't be taxing AT ALL, while practice says otherwise.

I'm currently investigating and I'm planning a lawsuit as my performance tanked noticeably for patches that are not needed for my CPU.

On a side note, my brief experience with ASRock has been all but pleasant! I honestly don't expect any love for us, poor AMD users. Most likely Intel is poring tons of money to mobo vendors to prioritize work on their products first.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
MountainDolphin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainDolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 7:46am
As least as far as the server-class mobos (AsRockRack) are concerned, the company is acknowledging that they are aware of and working on releasing FW fixes: http://www.asrockrack.com/support/faq.asp%3Fid=33
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic