ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock P67 PRO3 REV 3.0 1155 & Windows 10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will1565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock P67 PRO3 REV 3.0 1155 & Windows 10
    Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 11:31pm
Hello Guys

I'm currently trying to cobble together a system with random parts due to me breaking my old cpu whilst replacing the heatsink (schoolboy errors were made)

So does anybody know if there are any issues with running windows 10 on this board - Asrock P67 PRO3 REV 3.0 1155 Socket?

Any help would be great.

Will.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 12:39am
Win 10 working on the P67 Pro3 specifically? No I don't know. We have seen Win 10 working on other ASRock P67 boards, the P67 Extreme4:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=625&PN=2&title=p67-extreme4-not-booting-after-bios-update

The basic problem with Win 10 compatibility is with the main drivers. It also may make a difference if you are doing a Win 10 "upgrade", or a fresh Win 10 installation. The Win 10 upgrade installation may attempt to use some or all of the drivers you had installed, while a fresh Win 10 installation will use the drivers built into Win 10. The Windows version you are using when doing an upgrade installation can make a difference too. The additional hardware you use in the PC like drives, video cards, etc, also can make a difference.

As you can see, there are many variables involved, we all use different hardware, drivers, and software with our mother boards. The question about compatibility is more complex than simply the mother board.

But, the simple compatibility of a mother board with Win 10 is still a valid question. Again, that is usually a question of driver availability for the chipset and other chips used on a board. ALL of those drivers are provided by the chipset manufactures, except for the utility programs provided by the mother board manufacture. In some cases, drivers for Win 10 are available from the chipset manufactures, Intel being a prime example of one that has new drivers available. Other smaller companies like ASMedia seem to not have updated Win 10 drivers yet, or have certified their current drivers as compatible.

Sorry to give you a non-answer to your question, but I'm mainly trying to explain the compatibility situation.

Note that Microsoft seems to believe that any PC using Win 7/8/8.1 can apply the Win 10 upgrade. That includes PCs with older hardware than a P67 board (which is four years old and a very good platform.) Many of the new Win 10 drivers from Intel are said to be compatible back to the 8 series chipsets (Z87, etc), but support for earlier chipsets (7 and 6 series, like your P67) is not 100% clear.

I have used the Win 10 Technical Preview release versions with Z87, Z97, and X99 boards, using Win 8.1 drivers. Besides a couple small issues, those drivers worked fine. I suggest trying Win 8.1 drivers with boards like yours, although none are available on your board's download page. Embarrassed

What version of Windows are you using now?

will1565 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will1565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 2:52am
Hello Parsec, thanks for your reply

At the moment I'm not using anything,  My pc is bits and I don't have this board I'm just researching which one to get that supports socket 1155, USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0 & Windows 10 but I have a Windows 7 key I can fall back to but I'd rather use 10 if I can.  I was using an AMD chip until I bent some pins but a very good friend and life saver has given me an oldish i7 to use until I can get myself something new.   

So if there is a possibility of compatibility issues (which I don't have the time or money to deal with at the moment) could you recommend a board that ticks all my needs above?

Your help is very much appropriated :)

regards

will. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 2:07pm
You should be very happy with a socket 1155 i7, it will be leagues better than any AMD CPU you could have been using. Is the i7 a Sandybridge or Ivybridge (i7 2XXX or i7 3XXX)? You will probably be better served by a Z77 board as it will be more compatible with current hardware.

Any i7 from Sandybridge onwards are still very competitive when it comes to performance. I have been advising against upgrades to friends and family who are using sandybridge and better systems as presently the performance benefit of an upgrade is not really worth the cost unless you are going nuts and going for a socket 2011 solution with 6 or more cores. 

That is some friend you have there Thumbs Up
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 3:59pm
I agree with Xaltar, if you have a socket 1155 processor, a Z77 or other Intel 7 series chipset board is the best choice for you.

Socket 1155 processors will work only with Intel 6 and 7 series chipset boards. You may have some trouble find new in box Intel 7 series chipset boards, since Intel is currently up to its 100 series (10 series actually) chipsets and processors. The boards after the 7 series all use different sockets, not compatible with 1155 processors.

Please tell us the model of the processor you have, it will make a difference regarding which boards are optimal for you, again if you can find them.
will1565 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will1565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

You should be very happy with a socket 1155 i7, it will be leagues better than any AMD CPU you could have been using. Is the i7 a Sandybridge or Ivybridge (i7 2XXX or i7 3XXX)? You will probably be better served by a Z77 board as it will be more compatible with current hardware.

Any i7 from Sandybridge onwards are still very competitive when it comes to performance. I have been advising against upgrades to friends and family who are using sandybridge and better systems as presently the performance benefit of an upgrade is not really worth the cost unless you are going nuts and going for a socket 2011 solution with 6 or more cores. 

That is some friend you have there Thumbs Up

Unfortunately I had an AMD FX8350 bulldozer which was a beast so the i7 2600 he's given me isnt quite as good, well I assume it isnt ive never had an intel chip before.  And yes he is a legend but you have to understand he snagged it from work but bare in mind he works in a place where hes got terrabytes of server ram just sat around doing nothing.  I think this cpu was destine for the bin lol 
will1565 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will1565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I agree with Xaltar, if you have a socket 1155 processor, a Z77 or other Intel 7 series chipset board is the best choice for you.

Socket 1155 processors will work only with Intel 6 and 7 series chipset boards. You may have some trouble find new in box Intel 7 series chipset boards, since Intel is currently up to its 100 series (10 series actually) chipsets and processors. The boards after the 7 series all use different sockets, not compatible with 1155 processors.

Please tell us the model of the processor you have, it will make a difference regarding which boards are optimal for you, again if you can find them.

Its an i7 2600 - Yes its been tough finding a semi decent board and AsRock seem to be the only manufacturers making decent ones that aren't £200
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic