ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock X99e-ITX/ac and SATA/M2 harddisks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AsrockRookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock X99e-ITX/ac and SATA/M2 harddisks
    Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 3:05am
Hi,

Since 32GB DDR4 (2x16GB) ram sticks are coming out now, i am planning to build a mini-itx machine with the Asrock X99e-itx/ac motherboard.

I have a question about the sata-ports and the M2 ssd card.
Can i connect all 6 sata ports with harddisks/ssd and also use the M2 slot?
I have been reading about other motherboards when using M2 slot will have to sacrifice 2 sata ports.

Just want to know this upfront, because i am building it as a video editing machine and want all sata ports to be used. The M2 will be used as bootssd.

My configuration so far

Asrock X99e-itx/ac motherboard
Intel cpu i7-5820K (28 pci-lanes)
2x 16 DDR4 ram non-eec Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M2A2666C16 (30mm)
Gigabyte 960GTX videocard
Noctua NH-U9DX i4 cpu cooler which will not conflict with the memory height
Cooltek W1 silver case
4x 3.5 Western Digital harddisk (for backup and export) or 3x 3.5 WD and 1 slim optical bluray burner
2x ssd (for scratch and video footage)
1x M2 ssd as boot for Windows 8.1

I hope someone can clear the sata ports question for me.
I would like to hear experiences of the Noctua cooler too. Is it good enough to cool this cpu? Will it be noisy?
BTW I will not overclock the cpu.

I hope the Corsair memory is compatible with this board.

This will be my 1st Asrock motherboard, i would appreciate some info about this motherboard and Asrock's quality as well.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by AsrockRookie - 04 Sep 2015 at 3:23am
OtheloM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OtheloM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 12:05am
Was thinking about a similar build. And have a question about NVMe M.2 boot support.

Support isn't listed on the X99e-ITX/ac's 'storage' support page and it's confusing as to whether the Windows integrated (Native) NVMe driver (only Windows 8.1/10) support is enough?  Reviews of NVMe M.2 modules report they'll need a newer bios version for compatibility. 

Some early reviews with this mobo have used  Samsung's SM591(ACHI version) for boot, so I guess that  works fine with even the stock bios*. Faster (lower latency) NVMe versions are now available.

Has anyone tested a NVMe M.2 module with the X99e-ITX/ac?

Do any Asrock boards currently support NVMe in the M.2 socket? 

* The X99e-ITX/ac's Manual shows the Samsung SM951 (MZHPV256HDGL) (ACHI based version) listed as compatible(Page 31) The newer (NVMe) version of that module : MZVPV256HDGL isn't listed (neither module is listed on the 'storage' support page). 

Edited by OtheloM - 07 Sep 2015 at 1:46am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 2:09am
Originally posted by AsrockRookie AsrockRookie wrote:

Hi,

Since 32GB DDR4 (2x16GB) ram sticks are coming out now, i am planning to build a mini-itx machine with the Asrock X99e-itx/ac motherboard.

I have a question about the sata-ports and the M2 ssd card.
Can i connect all 6 sata ports with harddisks/ssd and also use the M2 slot?
I have been reading about other motherboards when using M2 slot will have to sacrifice 2 sata ports.

Just want to know this upfront, because i am building it as a video editing machine and want all sata ports to be used. The M2 will be used as bootssd.

My configuration so far

Asrock X99e-itx/ac motherboard
Intel cpu i7-5820K (28 pci-lanes)
2x 16 DDR4 ram non-eec Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M2A2666C16 (30mm)
Gigabyte 960GTX videocard
Noctua NH-U9DX i4 cpu cooler which will not conflict with the memory height
Cooltek W1 silver case
4x 3.5 Western Digital harddisk (for backup and export) or 3x 3.5 WD and 1 slim optical bluray burner
2x ssd (for scratch and video footage)
1x M2 ssd as boot for Windows 8.1

I hope someone can clear the sata ports question for me.
I would like to hear experiences of the Noctua cooler too. Is it good enough to cool this cpu? Will it be noisy?
BTW I will not overclock the cpu.

I hope the Corsair memory is compatible with this board.

This will be my 1st Asrock motherboard, i would appreciate some info about this motherboard and Asrock's quality as well.

Thanks in advance.

You'll be able to use all six of the SATA ports as well as the M.2 port at the same time on the X99E-ITX/ac board.

The X99 chipset provides up to 10 SATA ports, but only six are able to fit on this board due to its small size. When 10 SATA ports are available on an ASRock X99 board, at most only one of them is shared with the Ultra M.2 port. Given the four unused SATA ports on this board, their resources can be given to the Ultra M.2 port.

The new Z170 chipset has more restrictive M.2 and SATA port sharing than the X99 chipset.

I don't know if your 16GB Corsair memory will be compatible. The 8GB version of that model of Corsair memory is listed in the Memory Support list, which is a good sign. You should update to the latest UEFI/BIOS version when you get your board, which includes memory compatibility improvements.

I've never used the Noctua CPU cooler you want to use. I doubt it will be noisy, since most Noctua fans are not high RPM types. If you do not OC your 5820K and use the CPU power saving options, this cooler should be enough to keep it cool, but IMO you can't expect low CPU temperatures with this cooler, given its size. Airflow through your case will be an important factor for keeping your CPU as cool as possible.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by OtheloM OtheloM wrote:

Was thinking about a similar build. And have a question about NVMe M.2 boot support.

Support isn't listed on the X99e-ITX/ac's 'storage' support page and it's confusing as to whether the Windows integrated (Native) NVMe driver (only Windows 8.1/10) support is enough?  Reviews of NVMe M.2 modules report they'll need a newer bios version for compatibility. 

Some early reviews with this mobo have used  Samsung's SM591(ACHI version) for boot, so I guess that  works fine with even the stock bios*. Faster (lower latency) NVMe versions are now available.

Has anyone tested a NVMe M.2 module with the X99e-ITX/ac?

Do any Asrock boards currently support NVMe in the M.2 socket? 

* The X99e-ITX/ac's Manual shows the Samsung SM951 (MZHPV256HDGL) (ACHI based version) listed as compatible(Page 31) The newer (NVMe) version of that module : MZVPV256HDGL isn't listed (neither module is listed on the 'storage' support page). 

I can't say I've used an NVMe Samsung SM951 in an ASRock X99 board.

The X99 OC Formula board which was released when Haswell-E processors were introduced (9/2014), has UEFI/BIOS updates that include NVMe compatibility. Those are dated in early 2015, so newer ASRock X99 boards should have NVMe compatibility from their initial UEFI version, or at worst an early update.

ASRock is the first mother board manufacture to include UEFI/BIOS support for PCIe SSDs, both AHCI and NVMe. The UEFIs of their Intel 7 series chipset boards have the appropriate Option ROM to allow using the Windows EFI bootloader, which is long before other manufactures provided that capability.

My point is even if the board you asked about did not have NVMe support in its first UEFI version, it will soon afterwards.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic