ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beebox-S Kabylake crashing at 4K 60Hz playback

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stijnvdv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beebox-S Kabylake crashing at 4K 60Hz playback
    Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 4:53pm
Hi,

I get bluescreens and other OS crashes when using 60Hz playback. 
- Other crashes are screen freezes and you see all kind of different block colours on the television.
- The only thing that helps is hard resetting the device.

I invested into the Beebox-S because I was planning to buy a 4K television in the future. So the first year the Beebox-S was working fine when it was being used at FullHD 30Hz playback. Although I almost replaced the initial RAM (crucial 16GB DDR4 2133 MT/s 8GBx2 SODIMM 260 pin) with a kingston kit because I already faced issues right after buying the Beebox. (kingstong kit is: KingstonD4S 8GB 2133-13 Impact K2 KHX)
I thought the problem was solved with the new Kingston RAM but this seems not be the case. 

Now after upgrading my television to 4K and trying to use the 60Hz functionality my beebox crashes all the time. 30Hz is not an option on such a television it should be supported in the Beebox-S kabylake.

Some things I noticed:
- When I got the bluescreen (One time, normally I get just screen freezes with the colour blocks) It said it was due to the MEMORY MANAGAMENT. Although I don't think my memory is broken because I did the memory checks from windows and all were fine (mdsched).

- I have the feeling I get less crashes when only using 1 memory DIMM ! (It doesn't matter which one) So I'm thinking the DIMM's are placed to close together and maybe they get to hot? The reason for dual channel is that I get 30% performance gain for 4K playback in combination with the integrated HD 620 intel graphics card.

- When the device is cold it takes longer before the crashes starting to appear (5 - 10 min), after hard resetting the crashes come almost immediatly, so I guess it has something to do with the temperature.

I reinstalled OS from scratch with the latest intel drivers (february 2018) but this doesn't change anything. 

I think there could be something wrong with the Intel processor itself and I need to replace the Beebox? Or does somebody have other recommendations to get my 4K - 60Hz working?

Thanks in advance,
Stijn
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 12:14pm
Dear Stijnvdv,

Thanks for posting your query to ASRock forum.

Regarding your issue about 4k, please plug to HDMI1 port when using 4K at 60Hz.

If the problem still persists, please try steps below to see if it will fix the issue:
1. Kindly use different HDMI cable and try. 
2. Kindly use different screen monitor and try. 
3. Please remove all of the unnecessary devices on the system and use basic devices that will allow user to boot up system and watch 4k 60Hz and try.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 05 Jun 2018 at 12:17pm
undecided View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote undecided Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 10:41pm
I experienced the same problem. KL Beebox-S 7100U froze 30 minutes into playing a 4K HDR/10 bit movie.  Had to reboot. Played the rest of the movie fine after that. The unit also experienced freezing one or twice during normal desktop operation. It is running Win 10 2016 LTSB with latest Intel HD driver. I did update the HDMI port to 1.66 using the Asrock provided utility. I did NOT update to latest Bios.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 12:16pm
Dear undecided,

Thanks for posting your query to ASRock forum.

Allow us to help with this.

Regarding your issue about froze, could you kindly provide following information:

1. Which HDMI port was HDMI cable plugged?
2. Was 4K video play at 30Hz/60Hz?
3. In what situation will you experience froze issue?
4. What version of BIOS is used?
5. What version of Windows 10 is used(RS2,3,4)?
6. What devices are plugged on the system?

It will be greatly appreciated if you could provide information above.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD 

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 29 Jun 2018 at 2:37pm
undecided View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote undecided Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 10:43pm
[URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]1. Plugged in to the HDMI that does 60hz at 4k.
2. 60hz
3. Pc froze 19 minutes into playback of movie.
4. KBL-NUC P1.10
5. 1607 with latest updates
6. Keyboard/mouse and TV

As additional info, I set the fan to 'performance' mode and was able to complete the play back. Of course, performance mode is too loud to be watching movies with it. Why does it not vary the fan speed with temperature? It runs at full speed even when PC is idling at the desktop.

On performance mode the CPU temps stay in the low 40s when idling. In standard mode the CPU temps keep climbing. Watching it now in the bios, it has reached 61 Celsius. Fan is around 2000 rpm in standard and over 5000 rpm in performance.

Edited by undecided - 29 Sep 2018 at 11:42pm
undecided View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote undecided Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 11:45pm
Now at 65 Celsius, fan at 2100 rpm in standard mode.

It seems to have stabilized at 65 Celsius. The rpm on the fan in standard mode is 2450.

Edited by undecided - 29 Sep 2018 at 11:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic