ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Build Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on OC and BIOS setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRHicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on OC and BIOS setup
    Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 9:51pm
Hi all! 

I'm brand new to building PC's and have recently bought the below setup: 

Ryzen 5 1600
ASRock AB350 Pro4

Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x 4GB) 3000MHz DDR4

GTX 1060 Aorus 6GB Graphics Card

Stock cooler provided with the Ryzen 5 

Side note: In the upcoming weeks I'm due to buy another 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz.

Now, as mentioned I am completely new to setting up/building PC's and unsure how far I can push my setup in terms of OC, the voltage needed etc. 

Could anyone advise on what I could expect from OC the above - how far could I push it? I don't want to push it to the limit of the system before breaking on me, but working overtime and a good pace would nice. 

Many thanks,

LWRH
MikeBE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeBE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 10:47pm
I hope that someone got in touch with you about this.

Generally speaking, the Ryzen CPUs are easy to overclock and are quite durable.

First thing, make sure that your motherboard's BIOS is up to date. Grab the BIOS file from ASRock's support site for your motherboard and update the BIOS, as needed. Download the file and unzip it to a USB drive. When you use the "flash" utility in the BIOS, it will search the USB drive and allow you to select the correct BIOS file. This is good, if you have several BIOS files on the drive.

Next, make sure that your RAM is running at its spec'd speed. Use the XMP profile and select the speed that is closest to your RAM. I have 3000Mhz RAM, which runs at 2933 (close enough). That setting is in the BIOS under "OC Tweaker."

Then, begin to make changes to the CPU speed. For the Ryzen 5 1600, try an 0.1 Ghz jump initially. Up the voltage by 0.25 volts. Reboot and run your PC. The usual sign of a CPU that's being pushed too far is the computer locking up.

You can then try increasing the clock speed by 0.125 or 0.25Ghz increments until you find a sweet spot. 

The base clock speed of the Ryzen 5 1600 is 3.2Ghz. If that was my PC, I'd probably run it at 3.5Ghz with an 0.25 volt increase. Its max OC speed is 3.6Ghz.

Run that, and if it seems stable, run it for a few weeks. Also, find and run some benchmarks that stress the CPU.

For reference, I've had  the Ryzen 1700x running at a stable 3.7Ghz for months. No problems at all. The base clock speed is 3.4Ghz. Max is 3.7Ghz.

I might urge you to get into water cooling for your CPU if you plan to do some aggressive overclocking, or if you do gaming or render videos. Water cooling will keep your CPU temps much lower than the stock fan.

The Corsair H60 and H110 systems get good reviews. I have the H60, and I'm pleased with it.

Investigate, however, as there are plenty of water cooling systems out there.

EDIT: I'm going to amend what I wrote about the voltage. After doing some reading, it's recommended that you don't boost your CPU voltage past 1.4 volts. At the moment, I'm running a Ryzen 5 2400G at 3.7Ghz at 1.35 volts and a Ryzen 7 1700x at 3.8Ghz at 1.35 volts. I just started doing this today (3/19/18), and we'll see how it goes.

Edited by MikeBE - 20 Mar 2018 at 10:40am
-Mike Elek
http://photographytoday.net
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic