ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z370 Taichi & 8700k Advise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mekks082 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z370 Taichi & 8700k Advise
    Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 8:17am
Long story short, built a new system. First new system in like 6-7 years.

I am lost on how to OC these days. I am running a EVGA CLC 280 and I did delid my 8700k. Temps at stock settings are around 25c idle. 

Could anyone be so kind as to give me a basic outline for an OC to try. Aiming for 5ghz if she can go that far.

Thanks in advance!
Dmytro_o_o View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmytro_o_o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 2:28am
If you can handle to translate a bit from russian language: 
https://forums.overclockers.ru/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=581482&hilit=z370+Pro4
 There is a 2-stage BIOS setting instruction (screenshots with comments under spoilers in the top post)
MB:ASRock Z370 Pro4
CPU:i5 8600K RAM:16GB GPU:GTX 1070Ti
Globespy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 2:16am
I know this is an old post, but you should have been able to achieve that 5ghz with ease unless of course you seriously lost the 'silicon lottery'.
It should be simply going into the BIOS advanced section, then the OC Tweaker area.
Disable MCE, choose base clock on 'All cores', set the first 2 values to 50, then the min value just leave at 42.
Go into voltage settings and choose 'fixed' voltage and try 1.35V to start with, then save and exit BIOS.

If Windows boots then try running RealBench stability test. If it passes then you could try to lower your voltage to 1.34v, then rinse and repeat. If it's stable at 1.34v then you are finished. 
If it fails at 1.35v within seconds or a few minutes of starting the stress test then try 1.37v and test again.
You can do this all the way to 1.4v which many consider the max for a 24/7 Coffee-lake CPU - personally I think much of this is from 'old timers' who keep spreading misinformation.
These chips love current and intel rates their max vCore at 1.52v, which is likely conservative if you consider the legal ramifications.
Would I want to run at that 24/7? No.
But 1.4-1.42v for a stable 5ghz if you are on AIO water or good air cooler (Noctua NH-D15) is fine for 24/7 OC assuming your general task temps (gaming, productivity, video rendering) are below 80-85C.
I have yet to hear of a Skylake, KabyLake or CoffeeLake chip die due to voltages in the low 1.4v range.
I still have an i7 6700k that runs 24/7 at 1.45v for close to 3 years without issue.

I game on PC, so 4 years is usually about my limit before the hardware starts to become 'tired' and out of date. But I bet these chips would go 10 years without any trouble unless there's a manufacturing flaw that causes failure and that would usually happen sooner than later.
Mekks082 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mekks082 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 2:49am
Originally posted by Globespy Globespy wrote:

I know this is an old post, but you should have been able to achieve that 5ghz with ease unless of course you seriously lost the 'silicon lottery'.
It should be simply going into the BIOS advanced section, then the OC Tweaker area.
Disable MCE, choose base clock on 'All cores', set the first 2 values to 50, then the min value just leave at 42.
Go into voltage settings and choose 'fixed' voltage and try 1.35V to start with, then save and exit BIOS.

If Windows boots then try running RealBench stability test. If it passes then you could try to lower your voltage to 1.34v, then rinse and repeat. If it's stable at 1.34v then you are finished. 
If it fails at 1.35v within seconds or a few minutes of starting the stress test then try 1.37v and test again.
You can do this all the way to 1.4v which many consider the max for a 24/7 Coffee-lake CPU - personally I think much of this is from 'old timers' who keep spreading misinformation.
These chips love current and intel rates their max vCore at 1.52v, which is likely conservative if you consider the legal ramifications.
Would I want to run at that 24/7? No.
But 1.4-1.42v for a stable 5ghz if you are on AIO water or good air cooler (Noctua NH-D15) is fine for 24/7 OC assuming your general task temps (gaming, productivity, video rendering) are below 80-85C.
I have yet to hear of a Skylake, KabyLake or CoffeeLake chip die due to voltages in the low 1.4v range.
I still have an i7 6700k that runs 24/7 at 1.45v for close to 3 years without issue.

I game on PC, so 4 years is usually about my limit before the hardware starts to become 'tired' and out of date. But I bet these chips would go 10 years without any trouble unless there's a manufacturing flaw that causes failure and that would usually happen sooner than later.

Thanks man, I will give it a test when I get home. I have been sitting at 4.9 and left it there. 5ghz is more of bragging rights but I would still like to hit it/know I can.
Globespy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 1:38pm
Really? I thought most 8700k's would hit 5ghz?

I am running 5ghz all cores at 1.328v on a corsair 150i Pro AIO - fully stable after 8 hours Realbench/probably the same Prime95 and every game I can think of (Witcher 3 is brutal on OC's if they are unstable).
That's a highly binned 8086K though....

Good luck.

Edited by Globespy - 07 Nov 2018 at 1:41pm
Mekks082 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mekks082 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 4:10pm
Thank you very much for the advice. I did as you said and was able to get stable 5.0 GHZ@ 1.328. After getting stable I adjusted it too offset and all is good.

I did have to adjust the cache setting from 50 to 45 and did not play with to much after.

The rest of the volts are on AUTO. Any of those needs adjusted up or down?

running real bench and prime95 I maxed out around 70C. CPU is delided with a evga clc280.
Globespy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 4:30pm
VCCIO to 1.15
VCCSA to 1.17

I stick with fixed voltage and LLC1 - the adaptive (offset) voltage on this board is awful.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic