ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - [Solved] Terrible Performance X399 Taichi & Ryzen
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Solved] Terrible Performance X399 Taichi & Ryzen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 3:23am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Not a clue sorry. I don't use Ryzen Master, I am oldschool, if I can't do it through the UEFI I don't bother with it. 

That info would require some digging in the registry. Maybe try google, I am sure someone on reddit has gone looking. If I were AMD I would prioritize a single CCX and it's cache to lower latencies as much as possible, any time the infinity fabric comes into play latencies go up. This is just a guess though. 

From my understanding, that was the whole point of Game Mode - lower the latency penalty from cross CCX traffic with NUMA by disabling half the cores (which in theory should permit higher clocks too).

I never use any extra software, but I'm always curious when I get something new to play with. I'll check the registry when I get a chance. I just assumed that Creator Mode would return the system to the default UEFI state or that I could at least do it manually from the UEFI. Uninstalling Ryzen Master to go back to default seems counterintuitive to me. Thanks!

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 6:10am
I'm with Xaltar.

Everyone should spend the time to learn OC'ing in the BIOS.

OC Apps IMO are for those that do not want to and suffer the consequences for having done so.

Moba, that's a rant and it is NOT directed at you personally, 'k?

Just that OC sw, while run in/from the Windows environ, is a recipe for disaster.

TANWare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANWare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 2:24pm
I too firmly believe in the Firmware OC. My primary belief there is that I usually like to run Linux as well as Windows. This and you boot with the OC enabled, in this manner if there is an issue it will show from the get go.
x399 Taichi, 1950x, 32GB 3466 DDR4
2x500GB 960EVO,Asus 1080TI
Passmark
Moba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

I'm with Xaltar.

Everyone should spend the time to learn OC'ing in the BIOS.

OC Apps IMO are for those that do not want to and suffer the consequences for having done so.

Moba, that's a rant and it is NOT directed at you personally, 'k?

Just that OC sw, while run in/from the Windows environ, is a recipe for disaster.

No offense taken Wink.

I finished my little experiment last night with Ryzen Master and I think it confirms common wisdom about overclocking from Windows.

First, I couldn't replicate the slow down nor find anything interesting in the registry. Second, I had 1 BSOD after applying settings which could have been a disaster considering how the UEFI is linked to Windows (I hate UEFI). So what useful information did I find?

Well, Game Mode does what it says it does, even on regular Ryzen i.e. it disables half the cores. However, it does nothing to improve latency across CCX modules (there's no cross die traffic unless you have a Threadripper processor...duh). I tested this with Sandra and Aida on multiple runs with the same results (inline with what was published online at launch last year i.e. latency is lowered with memory clock speed). Using 4 cores in legacy mode also introduced random stuttering in games - losing as much as 50% of my FPS for short periods while the CPU was pegged at 100% for no apparent reason. YMMV Confused.

In conclusion, memory speed is the best way to lower latency on Ryzen up to a point of diminishing returns. Game Mode, while a nice plug and play solution in theory, adds absolutely nothing when using it on a standard Ryzen chip. And while performance improvements in Game Mode have been shown in certain situations from published Threadripper reviews, I still wouldn't rely on it with such an expensive build.

And the UEFI? Well, when I tried disabling 4 cores in the UEFI to replicate what Game Mode does, the UEFI froze completely, even after a few power cycle. Since I didn't find any worthwhile improvements from disabling cores for my needs, I won't investigate this any further...
TANWare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANWare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 1:14am
Game mode will only help non TR chips where a lot of non optimized single thread operations are taking place. Where it will help is in those threads can load to each core so that then the load of that thread can be spread out of divided up. What can help the CPU is less loading up of L1, L2 and L3 cache. This works in theory but then it can kill the system where other threads hijack cores. This will cause the 100% core usage where all of a sudden the needed cores are not available and the CPU is flooded loading up flushing the few spare cores it has available for those single threads.   

Edited by TANWare - 25 Mar 2018 at 1:15am
Passmark
lowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 7:29am
Well, any solution to the OP's problem of terrible performance 0n X399 Taichi because I don't see a solution mentioned or outlined here?????..... my cpu mark results are craaaaaap like what has been mentioned in this thread so what's the fix????

Edited by lowdog - 25 Mar 2018 at 7:32am
X399 Fat Pro Gaming bios 3.10 - TR4 1900X - 64GB G-SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ @ 3133MHz - Vega 64 AIO with EK block - WC Custom loop - 1500W Silverstone PSU - yay
TANWare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANWare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 8:10am
The fix was a new install of W10, this with just the one HDD/SSD and nothing else. I too on a new install had great performance, it was after updates/installs for no repeatable reason performance would drop again. My workaround was to use Macrium to restore when performance dropped and then redo the installs etc. until I was fully built. I had to do the restores several times but all seems good now.

Edited by TANWare - 25 Mar 2018 at 8:11am
Passmark
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 11:15am
Originally posted by lowdog lowdog wrote:

Well, any solution to the OP's problem of terrible performance 0n X399 Taichi because I don't see a solution mentioned or outlined here?????..... my cpu mark results are craaaaaap like what has been mentioned in this thread so what's the fix????

And the OP not coming here or returning my txts pretty much seals the deal that I will not be spending hours on the phone helping others in the future.
lowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by TANWare TANWare wrote:

The fix was a new install of W10, this with just the one HDD/SSD and nothing else. I too on a new install had great performance, it was after updates/installs for no repeatable reason performance would drop again. My workaround was to use Macrium to restore when performance dropped and then redo the installs etc. until I was fully built.
I had to do the restores several times but all seems good now.

Man what a freeeeken hassle of a fix that may or may not work or needs repeated reinstalls to get working.....no fix really!!!!....people shouldn't have to go through that sort of a hassle!!.....Asrock needs to look at how they have tweaked the bios and fix the issue on their end.
X399 Fat Pro Gaming bios 3.10 - TR4 1900X - 64GB G-SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ @ 3133MHz - Vega 64 AIO with EK block - WC Custom loop - 1500W Silverstone PSU - yay
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by lowdog lowdog wrote:

Originally posted by TANWare TANWare wrote:

The fix was a new install of W10, this with just the one HDD/SSD and nothing else. I too on a new install had great performance, it was after updates/installs for no repeatable reason performance would drop again. My workaround was to use Macrium to restore when performance dropped and then redo the installs etc. until I was fully built.
I had to do the restores several times but all seems good now.

Man what a freeeeken hassle of a fix that may or may not work or needs repeated reinstalls to get working.....no fix really!!!!....people shouldn't have to go through that sort of a hassle!!.....Asrock needs to look at how they have tweaked the bios and fix the issue on their end.

What the hell are you carrying on about? You don't even know WHY he needed, no, REQUIRED, a fresh OS install.

Get real.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic