ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AVX Offset bug / 8700k / Z370 Extreme 4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AVX Offset bug / 8700k / Z370 Extreme 4
    Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 12:13pm
Hey guys,

My spec is the following:

i7-8700k
Asrock Z370 Extreme 4
G skills 2x8GB 3200mhz CAS14
Cooler for the CPU is Noctua NH D15

I can run 5GHz AVX at 1,424V with temps reaching 90C and package power at nearly 330W(Prime 95 smallFTT).

However, I have found a sweet spot at 5Ghz with -2 Offset at 1.32V. Here is the bug I am experiencing. When I do a stress test, for instance, Prime95 29 small FTT. The CPU downclocks to 4.8 accordingly, however after I stop the test the CPU is stuck at 4.8Ghz even when there is no load at all and it never goes to 5Ghz again until next reboot. Even the restart is a bit suspicious. When I restart the computer, it shuts down(cuts power completely) for a moment and then starts again. Usually, when you restart, the computer does not cut the power for a moment(fans and lightning on the board are on). Also, I have observed that sometimes when executing AVX instructions in a stress test the CPU does not downclock. For instance, while running Intel Burn Test the frequency keeps at 5Ghz, however, the consumption is way lower (100-120W instead of the usual 200W+) and the Gflops are way lower than in a usual test(50gflops instead of 150). All that while the CPU is at 5Ghz and 100% utilization. It appears that those bugs happen only when utilizing AVX.

Have anyone observed such behavior?

Best Regards!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 2:53pm
1.424v? Surely you jest!
Spunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 4:26pm

However, I am afraid of running this for more than 30 minutes as the temps get near the limit. The cooler is not capable of handling so much heat although I have put liquid metal between die and IHS and cooler as well. 

I want to get the same none AVX performance using the offset, however, it does not work for me. Multiplier just gets stucks sometimes until reboot.

I will try to work with the offset voltage but it also feels buggy.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 12:06am
Personally, I think you need to dial back your OC some.

Until you get better cooling anyways.
itsbranden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsbranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 1:08am
Not to necro this thread, but I'm experiencing the same 'bug' with my Asrock Z390 Extreme4.

However, I do not use an AVX offset.

This bug is only present when utilizing the Voltage Offset feature of the motherboard. It does not appear when using fixed voltage.

It's incredibly frustrating because I would love to lower my voltage at idle but this board just doesn't allow it after sustaining AVX load for an extended period of time.

Also - you mentioned that when this behavior happens or starts happening, when you restart the computer it basically turns itself off and then back on again. I also noticed this happens as well when the CPU is in this 'state'.

I'm considering upgrading to a Z690 board with 12-series CPU and I've basically written ASrock off as an option at this point. It's really disappointing because I loved the Z77 Extreme board I had with my 3770k and it was the reason I purchased the Z390 Extreme4 but this whole thing completely turned me off from them as a vendor.
Intel Core i7 9700k
Asrock Z390 Extreme4
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition GAMING
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic