ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gaming Zone > Gaming PC Build Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

USB BIOS update walkthrough

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB BIOS update walkthrough
    Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 12:04pm
On my first build. Used an ASUS motherboard that didn't recognize my mini DisplayPort connector on my video card and I sent it back as much for their non existent customer support as the port defect. Put feelers out with good experienced people and it was suggested that ASRock would be a good place to go. They were so right. First, the computer fired up perfectly. Second, I know there is a community of ASRock user out there willing to help out a noob like me. Now that I've got it running and into BIOS the next thing is to do a USB BOIS update which is something I've never done. I'm writing this on my old computer, the new one doesn't have Windows and isn't connected to the internet. Can someone please give me a walkthrough of what I need to do, what files do I need, can I use any USB drive, and does it matter which port on my new computer I use? My new ASRock motherboard is a Z170 k6. I have never worked in any BIOS/UEFI before, if the computer worked I never messed with it. This is the first time I've built my own computer, it's the first time I'm going to try overclocking and it's the first time I'm going to run an SLI video card setup. BTW the LED display on the motherboard says A6. I don't know about that though the BIOS seems to recognize both installed but completely empty drives. Also I don't know where to find what version my BIOS is. I really appreciate that ASRock has made the effort to run this forum and thanks for whatever help you can give.
"I'm trying to thing but nothin' happens" Gerome 'Curly' Howard
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 1:53am
We really need to know the exact mother board model you have before any BIOS update can be done.

There are two Z170 Gaming K6 boards, one is the Z170 Gaming K6, the other is the Z170 Gaming K6+. Since you say you don't have much experience with building PCs, I must ask this to be sure, since it is very important.

The BIOS version on your board can be found two ways. If you go into the BIOS, the Main screen will show the BIOS version. If you look at the board itself, the BIOS chip has a sticker on it that has the BIOS version printed on it.
BroDragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 2:04am
My motherboard is the basic Z170 Gaming K6 without the front panel USB 3.1. My BIOS version is P1.20, thanks.
BroDragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 3:38am
Okay I've extracted BIOS version 3.1 onto a FAT32 USB thumb drive.
BroDragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 3:39am
I meant Version 1.3. Sorry.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 2:12pm
With the 1.30 UEFI/BIOS file extracted and copied to a USB flash drive, connect the flash drive to one of the USB ports on the board's IO panel on the back of the PC case. Use one of the USB 3.0 ports at the top of the IO panel.

Start the PC and go into the BIOS UI by pressing the Del or F2 key. Click on the Tools screen and find the Instant Flash option, and click on that.

Instant flash will read the USB flash drive, and display the BIOS version on the screen. Just follow the prompts to complete the update. It will take a minute or two to complete. NEVER turn off the PC while the BIOS update is running.

When the BIOS update is complete, you will be prompted to press Enter to restart the PC. Don't worry about removing the USB flash drive, just press enter and let the PC restart.

You can then go back into the BIOS UI and check the BIOS version on the main screen.
BroDragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 12:18am
Thanks, I'm now running V1.3. It startled me when it defaulted to the EZ mode which I hadn't seen before. Where can I find documentation about the changes from V1.2? I still have that A6 alert on the LED. Also one of my fan status indicators is showing the fan speed jumping around every few seconds, sometimes up to 20k RPM. I'm going to install Windows 10 next which I guess should be pretty straightforward. I think I'm going to be on this forum quite a lot in the next few weeks as I learn about my new hardware. I have found the PDF tutorial and it seems quite a bit more extensive than the manual that came with the motherboard. Thanks again for your help.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 12:49pm
The only description about what is different in version 1.30 is the Description entry on the BIOS download page. Yes, that's it. The board's manual is normally not updated to include changes to the BIOS. Confused

If you are still just getting into the BIOS, an Ax POST code is normal. The Ax POST codes are about drives connected to the PC. If you don't have any connected yet, that code is indicating no drives or no bootable or formatted drives are connected.

Once you do have drives connected, check them in Storage Configuration by clicking on each drive listed. There is a Drive Type setting that should be set to SSD if you're using any SSDs.

A fan speed at 20K RPM? That's quite a fan you've got there. Wink  That could be caused by a bad connection, or multiple fans on a splitter cable that is not wired correctly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic