ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP new build issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zuluprinciple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP new build issue
    Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 2:21am
ASRock AB350 Gaming K4
Ryzen 5 - 2400g
EVGA 550 Watt Power Supply
Corsair DDR4 2 x8gb 2400mhz  (installed A2 and B2)
Samsung SSD
no motherboard speaker

I have tried with and without a video card...just a ATI RADEON HD 5870

but thought i could run this ryzen without a video card

I have not been able to get display at this time. 

On start up, the machine starts for 25 seconds then turns off and back on. 

So when i trouble shoot from power supply connections and when i remove the ATX 12V, the machine runs continuously. 

To be honest i have had this apart and put together several times...at one time i did drop the cpu bent the pins but it now inserts easily. 

Please help....

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 2:31am
Welcome to the forums Wink

The first thing you want to do is check to make sure you have a supporting BIOS version for Raven Ridge (the APU). There should be a Raven Ridge Ready sticker on the motherboard box and/or a sticker on the BIOS chip that has a number higher than 4.0 printed on it. If not, then your board will need a BIOS update in order to support your CPU. You can either take it back to your place of purchase and ask them to do it for you or, borrow a compatible CPU (Ryzen 1000 series or A-Series AM4 APU) and flash it yourself. You could also take it to a service center/tech workshop and get it done there.

If your BIOS does support your CPU then make sure your RAM is installed in slots A2 and B2 and are properly seated. 

Next, you will want to clear CMOS using the jumper (always good practice on a new build). Make sure the system is powered off and the PSU switch is off.

Once that it all done, power on the system and leave it on for about 30 mins. See if you get POST (the ASRock logo) after that. Make sure you use the D-Sub or DVI ports on your motherboard to rule out any HDMI compatibility issues. 

If all that fails, come and let us know here and we can try assist you further. No doubt others will come and try to help you out too. Follow the steps one at a time and be patient, getting angry will only make things worse Wink Just remember, you are covered by a warranty if all else fails so just keep calm and let us help you work through it.

So long as no pins broke off the CPU and there are none bent over completely the CPU should be fine. 

Good luck and let us know if the steps I listed help.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 2:32am
You will not need the dedicated GPU unless you need to flash the BIOS with a supported CPU.

Edited by Xaltar - 05 Apr 2018 at 2:32am
zuluprinciple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zuluprinciple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 2:41am
Thanks for the quick response....

The bios chip shows P3.20 is that what you are referring to?

Please let me know....thanks again. 

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 2:46am
Yup, but if the box has a Raven Ridge Ready (or something to that effect) sticker on it then that number will be wrong. If there is no sticker on the motherboard box however then that is where your problem is. 

Many of these boards were updated by hand at ASRock, all these boards will carry a sticker on the product box stating they are ready for the new APUs. If there is no sticker then your board is not compatible with the R5 2400g on it's current BIOS version. You will need to get it updated. This is always the issue with CPUs released in the middle of a platform cycle like this. ASRock can't update boards that are already on the shelves in stores. 

If you have no access to a supporting CPU and don't want to take the board in to a tech to update for you then you can also contact AMD and they should send you a compatible CPU to flash with. Search AMD "boot kit". This will need to be approved by AMD and probably take a while to get to you however. I would recommend you take the board in somewhere and get it updated. That will be the quickest route to a working system.

Good luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zuluprinciple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 2:50am
Does it matter to ASrock if i just return to amazon and get a new board...how do i make sure on amazon that the board is Raven Ridge Ready?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 2:56am
You would have to contact Amazon for that information. ASRock does not have any issue with users returning products to the place of purchase. I am not employed by ASRock but I know for a fact that they have no issues with that at all Wink

ASRock is not a distributor so your first line of inquiry should always be the place of purchase. They are obligated to honor their return policies and warranties.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zuluprinciple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 9:01pm
This is what AMD sends you back as my tech store does not have a chip that will work for the bios update. 

Where do i go for this?

3.      The Original Design Manufacturer (ODM) of the motherboard will support affected end users with an RMA exchange for a compatible motherboard, upon request.  Affected end users are recommended to contact their local representative for the motherboard manufacturer to exchange their motherboard.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 9:52pm
Here you go Wink

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5265&title=howto-contact-tech-support

I wrote a tutorial on how to contact Tech Support directly a while back. Follow the steps to make sure you are connected with your nearest ASRock support center. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic