ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Build Advice
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does OverClocking my RAM Raise CPU Temperature?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does OverClocking my RAM Raise CPU Temperature?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatriotVipers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does OverClocking my RAM Raise CPU Temperature?
    Posted: 05 May 2018 at 8:17am

My CPU temperature, according to the ASRock A-Tuning software right now is 29C/84F. My memory is running with XMP Profile enabled in the BIOS but set to "Auto" so that the motherboard selects the speed and not me. It selected 2134MHz and that's the temperature that I get right now with my memory running at that speed.

However, I've been running (successfully I'll add) my system memory at 2934MHz for a couple of days without any issues. However, my Windows 10 system randomly rebooted a couple of times today. And when I checked the CPU temperature in the motherboard's BIOS it reported @ about 46C. Holy Moses Batman. That sounds really hot compared to the 29C I'm seeing now.

My memory is 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper PV416GC6K rated @ 2133 base but up to 3000MHz using XMP Profiles @ 1.35V.

My question is, for Gods sake, is the overclocked memory the reason why my CPU temperature was running so high? Thank God for built-in sensors in the BIOS to shut down the system (or wherever they are). But my question is, is this normal temperatures and normal behavior or am I doing something wrong?

ASRocks QVL List says it supports my memory sticks @2933MHz but the caveat is only with 11BF2 IC's (number shown in parentheses). In other words, I guess Patriot used multiple ICs on this model of memory kit at one time. Way to go Patriot! So the model # becomes less relevant.

So, now, I'm scared to run my memory @ 2934MHz until I know more about what's acceptable and normal increases in temperatures with regards to the CPU temperature.

Most DDR4 memory @ speeds starting @ 3000MHz and higher are going to need 1.35V so what's the issue? Can bad timings cause temperatures to be higher than they should? I don't know.

Anyone here who can help a completely brand new n00b understand this issue?

Thanks for reading!

Edited by PatriotVipers - 05 May 2018 at 8:25am
System: AMD 2200G, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 16GB(2x8GB) 3000MHz Patriot Vipers (running @ 2134MHz *crying*).
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:36pm
the IMC is in the cpu so i'm pretty sure few mhz doest put effort on the cpu but usually temps dont get higher if no volts are changed.

and i wouldn't sweat 46C thats even below my idle temps 
arso96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arso96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 1:52am
Hello,
RAM overclocking will increase the heat output of your CPU, but not by much if you're just doing XMP. Manual overclocking will increase it a bit more, but if you're running an adequate cooler to overclock your CPU, you should be good.
Best regards
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic