ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Formula Drive Software Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formula Drive Software Problem
    Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 11:08pm
I'm running at z170 oc Formula with a i7 6700 chip. In the Formula drive software it allows you to set the CPU multiplier and I set it to 42 and no problem it jumps up to 4200. But if I set it to anything above that it just stays at 4200mhz. I can change the Bclk and move the cpu up some but I can't get the multiplier to apply anything above 42.

Any ideas?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 3:10pm
First I assume you have an i7-6700K processor, right?

A multiplier of 42 at 100MHz BCLK results in a speed of 4.2GHz, the standard Turbo 2.0 speed of your CPU. If you are stuck at 42, it sounds like you have Turbo disabled.

If you do not have Turbo disabled, then Formula Drive might have a problem.
TimH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 3:23am
Oh wow! That would make alot of sense. Let me check that option on the bios. Thanks. I'll post back what I find.
TimH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 2:49am
Ok Turbo mode was ENABLED. and just out of curiosity I  DISABLED it and ran Formula Drive and no matter what multiplier I chose it would only show 4000mhz. The stock speed of the i7 6700.

I guess I'll write up a support ticket and let them know. Maybe the Formula Drive Software is only designed to boost to the maximum allowed by the turbo mode. If that's the case then it should give you an alert you have selected an non-supported CPU multiplier and tell you the max available.  I don't think it's a error in that case more like just a lack of finishing touches on the software.

Thanks for you help though. I think you nailed the cause down most likely.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 11:04am
I missed on the max non-Turbo speed!! You're right, it would be 4.0GHz, or a multiplier of 40. Angry

Do you have the Intel IME software installed? If not, that could explain why Formula Drive is not working.

If you like to OC in the Windows environment (I do too), did you ever try Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility? IMO it is the best Windows over clocking software available. You won't get all the options in the UEFI, but all the main ones that matter the most.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

It will also show you what many of the current UEFI settings are. If F-Drive was disabling Turbo for some reason, IXTU would show it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic