ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ASRock B360 Gaming K4 + i7-8700k Delidded OC Help!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock B360 Gaming K4 + i7-8700k Delidded OC Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdexter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock B360 Gaming K4 + i7-8700k Delidded OC Help!
    Posted: 30 May 2018 at 7:41am
Hi all,

Posting here regarding my brand new build, the build was being able to OC the rig for better performnace overall.  I have not built a PC for three years so all good bar one thing.  The build parts relevant are:

- i7-8700k (delidded)
- ASRock B360 Gaming K4
- G.Skill Ripjaws V
- Corsair H100i V2

All of the previous machines in the past I have always OC'ed, the Bios on the K4 is a little different and the values you change are set to auto, there are no prompts for what values I need to put in.

Is someone able to screenshot or provide basic values I should look to change to Clock the CPU to 5GHZ.  The CPU can easily handle 5GHZ and coupled with the cooling and the delidded the temps will not be an issue, I just need to keep under around 1.36v VCORE.

Could anyone provide the Bios Pages/Changes or text to those things I would need to change to work my way towards 5GHZ.

**I apoligize in advance but I cannot find anything on the internet for this Board at all, let alone this board and chip, yep there is plenty on the chip but not even other boards that are similar for me to give this a go.

**MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE**
ALB92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALB92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 2:35pm
Hello you need Z370 board in order to be able to overclock your CPU or/and RAM . B360 chipset is good for non K parts ( when no OC is required ) .

Edited by ALB92 - 30 May 2018 at 2:38pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 3:51pm
Intel does not allow overclocking on non "Z" motherboards. If you want to get the best out of your "K" CPU you will need a Z370 board as ALB92 said. ASRock have provided limited overclocking on non Z intel boards in the past but intel forced them to pull the feature Cry

In addition, you don't want to get just any Z370 board if your goal is to overclock, you will want a board with a solid VRM design and cooling. Budget Z370 boards do not overclock very well, they are designed for stability and features rather than overclocking potential. 

Z370 Taichi
Fatal1ty Z370 Professional Gaming i7
Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6
Z370 Extreme4

These are your best options from ASRock as they all have solid VRMs and cooling. When picking a board for overclocking, an easy way to spot decent boards is to look at the heatsinks around the CPU socket, if there is a high density of VRMs and capacitors in the area (compared to another board) then it is the better board. Note how the cheaper Z370 boards have smaller VRM heatsinks and far fewer capacitors and VRMs in this area.

5ghz on an 8700k is considered broadly achievable but you will need a solid board to do it. If you would be content with 4.8 or so you can go with a cheaper board but if you are absolutely determined to hit 5ghz+ you can't cheap out on the board. Even with higher tier boards, there are still no guarantees, it's not called a silicon lottery for nothing Wink 

All that said, an 8700k is a blisteringly fast CPU even at stock. If gaming is the focus of your build then overclocking will be pointless unless you have a high end GPU to pair it with. Anything short of a GTX 1080 will not see any benefit from an overclock on the 8700k, you will be GPU bound long before you push the limits of the CPU and it's default turbo clocks. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic