ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Solved] AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Doesn't POST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solamour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 1:53am
The video card works when I tried it with a similarly old system, but it certainly was from the time when UEFI was even in the picture. VGA BIOS sounds like something worth trying.

I'm connecting the video cable from the monitor to the video card, not to the motherboard. 2400G works without a dedicated video card, but 2700X doesn't.

The 8-pin power was the first thing I checked. I think the system didn't even start without it.

As for the 5 beeps, it was about 0.5 second per beep. Not sure that's considered as long or short.

Edited by solamour - 30 Jul 2018 at 3:07am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 2:02am
is csm switched on in bios ?

[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
solamour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solamour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 2:46am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

is csm switched on in bios ?

Hmm... if we are talking about Compatibility Support Module (CSM), then I'm not sure, because I can't even reach the BIOS/UEFI screen. I tried clearing the CMOS, though.

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 5:25am
how do you know it works with the 2400g if it dosnt reach bios ?

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
solamour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solamour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 5:58am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

how do you know it works with the 2400g if it dosnt reach bios ?

I just re-read what I wrote and realized that perhaps I should have worded differently to avoid misinterpretation. Anyhow, no, I haven't tried 2400G on my motherboard, so I don't know whether the motherboard is defective or not.

I'm seeing something inconsistent every time I start the machine. Without the video card, I usually hear 5 beeps and power down, but sometimes, the system stays up after the beeps. Some other times, it just powers down without beeps.

With the video card, I saw the BIOS screen 2 times, out of, perhaps 30 tries or so. At that point, everything looked normal, including voltage and temperature. I selected reboot (to boot from the USB device), but the system turned off during booting as it usually did.

Something else I noticed is that, right before the system shuts down, the CPU fan spins faster. Not sure that has anything to do with the problem, though.

So, I'm inclined to point my finger to the power supply now. After all, it was born many, many years before 2700X, so it might be insufficient to handle the demand. Would it be worthwhile to look into a replacement power supply?
nanohead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanohead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 5:47am
Could be the power supply, but likely, the 2700x should  at least be able to POST with a minimum of power.  Its definitely a challenge to test without spare stuff.  I keep a junk pile of older components around, have for years.   Helps me save my sanity when things go awry.

Another protocol that you could do, is that old "strip everything down" move.  Take everything out except the CPU, and push the on button and see what it does.  Then, put in the video card, and see what it does.  Then put in one memory stick and see what it does.  A pain I know.  Wish there was more for us to go on!   I love a good mystery
solamour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solamour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 2:12am
It turned out to be the power supply; once I replaced it with a new one, everything worked just the way it's supposed to. The old power supply does have separate cables for the CPU, but it must be not sufficient enough to handle the recent CPUs. Perhaps that explains why the system passed POST a couple of times out of many, many tries.

I also noticed that if the little sticker on the BIOS chip says "P4.60", that *is* the BIOS version. I did mentioned it to the ASRock support, but they sent me a new BIOS nonetheless.

Thanks everyone for taking time to share your suggestions. Much appreciate it.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 3:01am
well thanks for updating the thread it does help in futute when people use the search function

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic