ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - $100 to end my X399/1900x/Ubuntu RAID0 Nightmare!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

$100 to end my X399/1900x/Ubuntu RAID0 Nightmare!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrAustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $100 to end my X399/1900x/Ubuntu RAID0 Nightmare!!
    Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 3:27am

I'm in a panic with a passed deadline. I'm attempting to install Ubuntu 16.4.1 desktop on my 5x2TB RAID0 array but this X399 is not having it. I'm without options at this point and willing to pay anyone $100 if they can provide the detailed step-by-step solution to this nightmare that I currently live. 

In fact, if anyone has successfully deployed Linux on a X399 Taichi RAID, please let me know. Support has already come back stating "we don't have linux specific drivers. Return it to the vendor." However, I fail to believe that no one's done this successfully.

Thus far, I've followed the AMD RAIDXpert2 guide 1 while working on my X399 Taichi , using the AMD Chipset Drivers, for which that guide was created.

It's step 20 where things go down hill: 

20. When the Installation Complete window displays, do the following: 

1. Insert the USB flash drive. 
  2. Press CTRL + ALT + T. 
  3. Type the following, pressing Enter after each one: 
  4. sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdal /mnt
  5. sudo cp -ap /mnt/dd / 
  6. sudo /dd/post_install 

*It's right HERE that the issue occurs.* 

• $ sudo /dd/post_install
  • copy load AMD-RAID
  • mkdir: cannot create directory '/target/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-premount/': File exists
  • mv: cannot stat '/lib/modules/4.4.0-31-generic/kernel/drivers/scsi/rcraid.ko': No such file or directory

*I've picked apart the script, have manually copied "load_amdraid" to "init-premount/", as well as rcraid.ko into the kernel driver directory. It will still show setup complete after this but once the system is restarted, and I'm asked to remove installation media, the system does nothing, although Ubuntu status dots continue moving as if though it's loading...for hours*

21. Wait for the Setup is Complete message, then press CTRL + D. Click Restart Now, to finish the installation. 

Thanks to anyone who's willing to take a whack at this, or experiment quickly for themselves.

X399 Taichi P2.00
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900x
Two arrays, each on RAID0 [(1x500GB SSD (win10) 5x2TB SSHD (selected for Ubuntu install)]
SATA Controllers: Enabled
SATA Mode: RAID Mode
CSM: Enabled (This allowed me to install Win10 on RAID0)

If anyone's experienced this or knows of a solution, please - I'm desperate! $100 if you can tell end this nightmare and have this in a bootable state, as intended.

Thanks for reading. If you accept Bitcoin, all the better!

Edited by MrAustin - 25 Jul 2018 at 3:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic