ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[SOLVED] idle bug on AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [SOLVED] idle bug on AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac
    Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 7:47pm
Hello everybody,

I have a Ryzen 5 1600 on my AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac (BIOS version 3.10) that is exhibiting the "Random Soft Lockup" bug (the URI for that is https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683 -- not sure why clicking the link fails).  Despite the name of the bug, the problem manifests as a freeze or restart when the system is relatively idle.

AGESA 1.0.0.2a was supposed to fix this issue, but BIOS 3.10 -- which contains AGESA 1.0.0.6b -- still seems to be afflicted by it.

The descriptions for the remaining 3.xx BIOS updates do not suggest that they would help in any way:
  • 3.40: Gray out Instant Flash when fTPM is enabled
  • 3.60: Bridge BIOS
Considering the advice given by Xaltar -- in Summit/Bristol Ridge users please read -- flashing a 4.xx BIOS is not advisable either.  (Again, the link seems to break when clicked.  The URI is: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8154&title=summit-bristol-ridge-users-please-read)

So, what to do?

I have a system that locks up on a frequent basis.  The current BIOS is supposed to contain a fix, but doesn't.  No recommended BIOS versions seem to address it.  Non-recommended BIOS versions don't seem to address it either.  No beta BIOS versions seem to be slated for the 1st Gen Ryzen ("Summit Ridge") CPUs.  The only workarounds centre on disabling C6 -- which increases power consumption, generates more heat, and prevents single-core boosting -- things that are all undesirable (especially on a passively-cooled system like mine).

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers!

PS:  If someone could explain why linking URIs with ? in them breaks here, that would be appreciated as well.

Edited by tim - 02 Sep 2018 at 3:30pm
dspcmn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dspcmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 2:01pm
I don't recall the details but isn't the kernel option "idle=nomwait" related to this bug?

Some users experience here: https://community.amd.com/thread/225795
tim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 9:15pm
@dspcmn  You are correct.  Both of those are related/relevant.  Workarounds exist.  I'm using one right now.  I have to or the machine is too unstable.  It's a hack, though, and causes extra power consumption, heat, and reduces single-core performance.

What I'm trying to ask in this thread, though, is if anyone can correct me on, or elaborate on, the BIOS situation.  I'm inquiring into a 'proper' fix.  Breaking it down:

1)  ASRock BIOS 3.10 supposedly contains AGESA 1.0.0.6b which should have solved the problem -- so why is my machine still freezing or restarting on idle?  Why isn't the BIOS option (that X370 owners have access to, i.e. "Power Supply Idle Control") visible and usable on my B350?  Is "Power Supply Idle Control" being treated as a 'pro' feature that only gets exposed on the X motherboards, so even though the B motherboards have the required AGESA update, we can't actually see/access/enable the option to fix the problem?

2)  The descriptions for BIOS 3.40 and 3.60 are very, ahem, terse.  Is that really all they do?  Does anyone have more information on those versions?  Anyone running a AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac with 3.40 or 3.60 that can feed back?  I only want to install a new BIOS if there is a reasonable expectation that it will fix a known problem.  I don't really want to introduce any new problems onto this system.

3)  Is there really nothing in the 4.x series of BIOS updates that is of value to 1st Gen Ryzen owners?

4)  Anyone know if the AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac is going to (or likely to) get another BIOS update, or whether it's effectively been abandoned now that the 450s are out?

If I can (or will be able to) fix the problem via BIOS then I'm happy to stick with the hardware because -- apart from that one issue -- it's been working really well.  If there's no possibility or likelihood of fixing the problem via BIOS then I have to consider hardware replacement.  The additional power consumption caused by the workaround is at least $16/year (in my part of the world), and not exactly off-grid friendly, so the problem is something I'd like to fix (rather than bandaid over).

Edited by tim - 01 Aug 2018 at 9:29pm
Reinvented View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 12:58am
Originally posted by tim tim wrote:

@dspcmn  You are correct.  Both of those are related/relevant.  Workarounds exist.  I'm using one right now.  I have to or the machine is too unstable.  It's a hack, though, and causes extra power consumption, heat, and reduces single-core performance.

What I'm trying to ask in this thread, though, is if anyone can correct me on, or elaborate on, the BIOS situation.  I'm inquiring into a 'proper' fix.  Breaking it down:

1)  ASRock BIOS 3.10 supposedly contains AGESA 1.0.0.6b which should have solved the problem -- so why is my machine still freezing or restarting on idle?  Why isn't the BIOS option (that X370 owners have access to, i.e. "Power Supply Idle Control") visible and usable on my B350?  Is "Power Supply Idle Control" being treated as a 'pro' feature that only gets exposed on the X motherboards, so even though the B motherboards have the required AGESA update, we can't actually see/access/enable the option to fix the problem?

2)  The descriptions for BIOS 3.40 and 3.60 are very, ahem, terse.  Is that really all they do?  Does anyone have more information on those versions?  Anyone running a AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac with 3.40 or 3.60 that can feed back?  I only want to install a new BIOS if there is a reasonable expectation that it will fix a known problem.  I don't really want to introduce any new problems onto this system.

3)  Is there really nothing in the 4.x series of BIOS updates that is of value to 1st Gen Ryzen owners?

4)  Anyone know if the AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac is going to (or likely to) get another BIOS update, or whether it's effectively been abandoned now that the 450s are out?

If I can (or will be able to) fix the problem via BIOS then I'm happy to stick with the hardware because -- apart from that one issue -- it's been working really well.  If there's no possibility or likelihood of fixing the problem via BIOS then I have to consider hardware replacement.  The additional power consumption caused by the workaround is at least $16/year (in my part of the world), and not exactly off-grid friendly, so the problem is something I'd like to fix (rather than bandaid over).

The bridge BIOS are exactly what they say.  Since PinnaclePi has a LOT more options that need to be controlled, it changes the layout and exposes other options.  Some PinnaclePi BIOS have extra stuff that can be seen with Summit Ridge CPU's, but YMMV.  I've seen some big fixes for Windows users via PinnaclePi BIOS updates such as crashing during game startup, and audio cut outs.  

As far as BIOS updates go, I think the team is spread very thin with not enough people testing the correct stuff.  Your best bet is to contact support and see if they have any BIOS updates to address your issue if the SummitPi BIOS revisions on 1006b hasn't done anything to alleviate your issue.  

You can always just flash the bios back, since you are a 1st Gen Ryzen if you are unhappy with the Beta BIOS's or the 4.xx series.  I suggest going this route and play around with the different versions.
tim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 3:57am
Originally posted by Reinvented Reinvented wrote:

The bridge BIOS are exactly what they say.  Since PinnaclePi has a LOT more options that need to be controlled, it changes the layout and exposes other options.  Some PinnaclePi BIOS have extra stuff that can be seen with Summit Ridge CPU's, but YMMV.  I've seen some big fixes for Windows users via PinnaclePi BIOS updates such as crashing during game startup, and audio cut outs.
Thanks for that!  I reset my BIOS back to defaults, then flashed from 3.10 to 3.60 (bridge) and then to 4.60.  You're right -- a bunch of BIOS options have been added.  The one I want included!  It's now set the way I need it to be set and we'll see if my system stays stable.

Quote As far as BIOS updates go, I think the team is spread very thin with not enough people testing the correct stuff.  Your best bet is to contact support and see if they have any BIOS updates to address your issue if the SummitPi BIOS revisions on 1006b hasn't done anything to alleviate your issue.
I submitted a ticket a while ago... no response.  Unhappy  That's why I thought I'd try here while waiting. 

Quote You can always just flash the bios back, since you are a 1st Gen Ryzen if you are unhappy with the Beta BIOS's or the 4.xx series.  I suggest going this route and play around with the different versions.
Yeah.  When it comes to BIOS updates I'm always a bit hesitant.  The power supply where I currently am isn't too stable (especially now in the middle of winter with thunderstorms and all that).

You've been a great help.  Thanks.  If I don't post back that means everything has gone smoothly, the firmwater update fixed my problem, and I'm a happy camper.  :)

Cheers!  Beer

Edited by tim - 02 Aug 2018 at 3:58am
dspcmn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dspcmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 1:47pm
If something goes horribly wrong regarding BIOS updates, on the AB350 ITX the flash EEPROM chip is socketed (instead of being soldered and probably on the X370 too), so you have a chance to programming it with an external 20~30 dollars/euro SOP/SOIC writer instead of RMA'ing the board...
tim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 3:04am
Originally posted by dspcmn dspcmn wrote:

If something goes horribly wrong regarding BIOS updates, on the AB350 ITX the flash EEPROM chip is socketed (instead of being soldered and probably on the X370 too), so you have a chance to programming it with an external 20~30 dollars/euro SOP/SOIC writer instead of RMA'ing the board...
Heh, heh...  The last time I played with EPROMs was over a decade ago [rummages around in his photo library] and this is the last one I remember doing anything with:

Can't remember how old the board was that it was from -- probably the 90s.  The chip was about 4cm long.  You had to clear it using ultraviolet light.

I thought those days were long gone and that everything was soldered/integrated now.  Thanks for the head's up.

BTW:  I left my machine idling overnight and no problems at all.  Have used it all today.  It's looking good!

Edited by tim - 02 Sep 2018 at 3:26pm
tim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 3:29pm
October 1 Update:  BIOS 4.60 has been active for over two months now and I haven't had any more freezes/restarts.  The system is perfectly stable under all load conditions.  That's good enough for me --- problem solved. Big smile

Edited by tim - 01 Oct 2018 at 12:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic